AP Spanish Lit: am I the only one here?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP Spanish Lit: am I the only one here?
By Jewlovvv (Jewlovvv) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Hey guys.

Am I the only one here taking AP spanish lit? (junior)

I'm seriously freaking out for the test, because it seems THERE ARE NO REVIEW GUIDES, NONE, WHATSOEVER for the test. There are no practice tests available for me to take.

I've read and interpreted all the stories, memorized all the literary movements, memorized the authors, practiced poetry analysis, written tons of essays, and memorized the defining characteristics of everything. HOW ELSE CAN I PREPARE?

The one book I find is Azulejo, but we use that as our class workbook anyways.

*mumbles under breath*lazarillonaufragiosculteranismonodigaisqueagotadosutesorosorjuanavanguardismo*mumbles*

By Jewlovvv (Jewlovvv) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Guess so.

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

hahah who the hell takes spanish lit
dont take it

By Cj09 (Cj09) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

hey i'm in the same situation as you

my teacher doesn't know what he's doing to prepare us. i think i'm just going to practice writing.

and btw, how is that azulejo book? we don't actually use it as a textbook.

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

The only book we've been using this year is the "Abriendo Puertas" dual set. Our teacher's pretty good, though, so I'm not overly concerned about review. (I doubt I'll do that well anyway).

And if you're a junior--what the heck are you going to take next year?

By Spright (Spright) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:35 am: Edit

I was thinking about taking it independent study next year...my teacher's never taught it but hey, I'll be a senior who intends on majoring in spanish in college, so the test will probably be superfluous anyway.

But do you think this is possible? I'd be willing to buy all of the recommended reading for myself...

By Jewlovvv (Jewlovvv) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Cj09 and Aspirer42: we should get together in an AIM chat and study. What are your respective SNs?

Aspirer42: I'll be auditing a 300-level course at my local university, Stanford. Also, love that history song!

By Cj09 (Cj09) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Screen name deleted per CC policy. --Admin

By Magpi (Magpi) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

I took Spanish Lit last year when I was a sophmore, and the only review/guide book I could find was the Azulejo book. The main book we used was a two volume series (The name escapes me), but all it had were the literary works themselves and a few questions. I thought the Azulejo book helped (I only managed to find it a few weeks before the test), but it is a shame that there seem to be no other books avaliable. My teacher had a few old tests avaliable so we could get the format, but since the content was changed starting last year, there was no real practice tests I could take either. I used the Abriendo Puertas books for Spanish Language, and I suppose they woud have been handy for grammar and stuff like that.

It seems like you've done all you can do, Jewlovvv. If you've read and analyzed all the pieces of literature as much as you can, know a little about the time period and author of each, and know all of those poetry literary techniques, I'm sure you'll do fine. It's hard to offer more advice than that because there's not a lot more you can do to prepare.

I was in a class of 5 that met 3 days a week for 45 minutes before school without a teacher, and met with a teacher at lunch for 30 minutes two days a week. I'm not fluent in Spanish; I can't speak it because I never practiced at it (too shy, and I regret it) but I can read and write it pretty well. We just barely managed to finish all the required works before the test last year and had no time for review. I felt horribly underprepared the day of the test.

There were a number of MC questions I couldn't answer, but most of the readings in the MC were short and mostly comprehensible; some were excerpts from the reading list which was really good. The poem was awful for me, and for the life of me couldn't understand it or find any literary techniques in it (I was expecting a poem with a least some meter, rhyme, etc, but no). The other two essays were pretty easy; they focused on two of my more favorite and easy to analyze works. In the end, I got a 4, which was much better than I expected and better than the 3 I got in Spanish Language (which I don't even want to talk about). Even with our little amount of studying time, the five of us in my class were able to pass (2 with fives, 2 with fours, 1 with a three).

The moral of my long, rambling story (sorry about making you read all this boring stuff!) is that there isn't a lot of information available, but even with limited class time and not being too smart in Spanish I still passed. Just keep reviewing until you never want see a word in spanish again ;) or feel like murdering the authors ;).

I hope you all enjoy the class; a lot of that Spanish literature is great stuff - I certainly came out of the class with a few new favorite works. It's good to see some more people taking the class; it's hard when not so many people take it. I hope you continue to read Spanish Lit after this year - I didn't taken Spanish this year because my school doesn't offer any higher level and my schedule is too full anyway, but I wish I had taken more effort to keep up my skills. I hope I at least reassured you guys (since I didn't actually give any advice, oops). ¡Buena suerte! to all of you; feel free to ask any more questions I can try to answer them.

:)

By Jewlovvv (Jewlovvv) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

What were your essay topics? What KINDS of things do the MC questions ask? I have yet to take a practice ap test >:o.

Also, favorite author? Mine by far is Márquez.

By Magpi (Magpi) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:23 am: Edit

If you've got Acrobat Reader, you can see the essay questions from last year here: http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/ap/students/spanish/spanish_lit_frq_03.pdf

As for the MC, I'm not sure exactly. I can remember the readings quite well, but since it was a year ago, the questions are leaving me at a blank. To my memory, there were some questions asking about the tone or mood of the reading, some were just asking about the plot (we had an excerpt from a play that went over bits of the plot)...erg, they were just an assortment of questions. If you can understand the reading in general, you should be able to answer most of the questions or at least rule out answers. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that (curse me for my short term memory!).

Favorite author? It's a close call between Marquez and Borges. I think I like Marquez's works better in general (did you have a favorite among the Marques we had to read?), but my favorite thing on the reading list for Spanish Lit was probably "La Muerte y La Brujula", which was by Borges. I enjoyed Fuentes, Quiroga, and Cortazar too - "Continuidad de los parques" was somewhere high on my list of favorites. Neruda was a favorite for me for the poetry. I'm sure if I looked back on the reading list I could pull out a few more. :)

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

okay, since you are all taking span lit. i am hopeful to assume you guys took ap span lang. (for span lit, span lang is a prerequisite). so (if you don't mind going on a tangent) how was ap span lang? was the test hard?
--i'm taking it next yr and am worried. i have NO spanish origin and i can speak it ALRIGHT (like i can carry a basic coversationg but i'm break-y and don't translate all the words) and i can kinda read it given ALOT of time. needless to say, i think i'm screwed. stories?

By Jewlovvv (Jewlovvv) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Poster banned.
Moderator DoveofPeace

By Jewlovvv (Jewlovvv) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Post removed.
Moderator DoveofPeace

By Culovv (Culovv) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Banned.
DoveofPeace

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page