******** AP US History Exam ******** how's your studying goi

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: ******** AP US History Exam ******** how's your studying goi
By Kingjames (Kingjames) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Has anyone started studying for the AP US History exam? I really don't know anything about it other than the format. How difficult is it supposed to be? What've you been doing to study? What score are you aiming for? How many questions do you have to get right for a 5?

I've been studying for the May 1 SAT & regular school tests so I haven't started yet. I'm probaly only going to have a week to study. I'm going to get Princeton Review's Cracking the AP US History Exam right after I take the SAT on May 1. And I'll try to study as much as possible until test day. You think that'll be enough to get a 5?

What is everyone expecting?

By Jacqueline (Jacqueline) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

My studying isn't going as well as I expected. On May 1st I am taking my SAT IIs (Writing, US History, and Match IC), then on the 2nd I have my US History class final, and on the 3rd my AP Eng. lang. test. So I'm stressed. I planned on finishing the PR book by the end of this week and then start reading over my notes but I don't think that's going to happen.
I want a 5, so I have to work harder! (Animal Farm reference, poor Boxer!)

By Number9 (Number9) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Im at Kennedy in REA and PR in review.

Whats funny is that our class decided to skip McKinley-Eisenhower and straight to Kennedy. No one else has been studying on their own, and they dont have the proper books. I aim for a 5, and hopefully, will be the only in the class to get one.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

my studying isnt going so great, and i only have 2 weeks! im not overly worried becuase i have a really good memory, but my class will only get through the vietnam war before the test so the rest of the book i have to read myself

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

i wont read PR i read it last year and got only a 2 it was absolutely horrible

By Mimi (Mimi) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:47 pm: Edit

So you mean you haven't studied at all the whole year?? Wow, good luck. It depends how much history you know already. I have a friend who have been into history ever since yay high, so everytime we took practice tests she would always score higher even if she never studied - well higher than me anyway, and I always studied but I hated history so it was sort of useless to study. Well, I heard this year's DBQ would be pretty difficult since they have a hard DBQ every 4 years, and last year was a really easy one - FDR and the new deal, grr, wish I took it last year.. and sorry, I don't know how much right you have to get to get a 5. I heard they curve the LA test depending on the students, so they may do that for the history one as well??

By Baggins (Baggins) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

My sister waited until the last two days to full on study. She got a 5. I started yesterday not counting the AP exam study sessions with my teacher. I have a really good teacher who has prepared us well. We are currently on LBJ and will probably finish everything 1 week before exam. I'm under a lot of stress b/c my parents expect me to get a 5 and they aren't letting me cut back on other responsibilities like they did my sister. Plus I have been having problems with DBQs. Every time I take a practice DBQ I freeze. Unfortunately, these are DBQs from past AP exams. I know the stuff but I can't seem to write it down.

My teacher says the DBQ will probably either involve Louis and Clark or Brown v. Board of Education and Plessy v. Fergason b/c of their 200th and 50th anaverseries.(can't spell-very bad). She might be totally wrong tho. Last year she said it would be on the Louisiana Purchace but it ended up being on FDR.

From taking some of the past DBQs I agree with Mimi on them getting harder, but I think they get harder at a continuous rate. I took one on Pearl Harbor and WWII from '88 and it was MUCH easiear Than the one in 2001(can't remember the subject-also very bad)

Maybe that fact that my teacher is bias against sophomores shows that I will do a little better than I think.

By Peyton (Peyton) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

I've been taking the class all year, but I'm actually starting to review for the exam today. Hello, new level of stress that I have never experienced before. I think we're gonna make fast friends.

By Philntex (Philntex) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

We've only had 4 or so AP review sessions in class with my nearly-idiotic teacher. It's really hard to study when I don't even feel like we've covered anything except for Andrew Jackson and WW2 movies in depth. And we're only on WW2 right now!!!!

We have these huge study packets that she got out of some book, so I guess I'd better start looking at those...

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

Our class is like that too, Philntex. We covered Beginning to the Reconstruction normally, then just touched on Grant through McKinley by way of massive study packets. We totally skipped everything after McKinley and picked up at Kennedy.

On top of that, the teacher has decided to teach out of a middle school text book.

Its a good thing I started reading on my own a while ago...

By Dolphinz33 (Dolphinz33) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

is anyone going to wait until the monday before the test to start studying?

By Musicbuster007 (Musicbuster007) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Haha we're only on Cold War... and no review sessions yet!!!

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

We have been reviewing for over a month in our class. I am using the AMSCO book and the 2004 Barrons book. I am hoping for a 5, but I do have to study a lot still. On an inclass 2001 actual AP MC test, I got a 57/80 right, which is just borderline 5 (75% of people with 57+ on the MC get 5s). My essays are usually 6-8, with an occasional 9. I feel pretty confident, but I really have to review manifest destiny and the gilded age - but other than that I'm pretty good. I basically just read the review chapters in the books and do the MC questions in them.

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

I hate the Gilded age, sigh. I have to brush up on that and probably just a bit on Colonial times. I got a 50/80 on my first practice test's MC, so I think I'll just have to read a bit more carefully and definitely review a bit more.

By Jewlovvv (Jewlovvv) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Uh oh, Number9 --- what period is the Gilded age?

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Ha ha. The Gilded Age is the latter half of the 19th century. I think it's post-Reconstruction until the late 1800s.

It's basically like, things that are gilded are pretty and shiny and yummy on the outside but inside it's all tarnished, cheap, and ugly. So, everything seemed to be progressing outwardly but beneath it there was lots of corruption. Big businesses and trusts ruled; lots of corruptness in city governments (with politcal machines at the helm). There was also a lot of corruptness in the Senate/House/Congress, where you have things like congressmen were advancing the needs of uh, gotta look this one up... the Credit Mobilier company... when they were investors.

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

Yeah, It began with Grant and then kind of died with the rise of Theo. Roosevelt. Mark Twain dubbed it the gilded age, as Je ne sais pas said before, about how gilded things are.

Whiskey Ring, Crédit Mobiler, Sanborn Contract, Belknap Bribes, "Black Friday", and Teapot Dome are all notable scandals.

By Sherwin (Sherwin) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

The Gilded Age may have been going simultaniously with the reconstruction--in the North it was the Gilded Age--in the South Reconstruction (up until the late 70s)--in the West it's the "Wild West" migration. But the Gilded Age is also used to reference the post-reconstruction period of the whole US.

By Philntex (Philntex) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

In our class, "Gilded Age" is a cuss word. That's how much we hate that time period, hehe.

Which section is everyone worried most/least about? I think I can do both fairly well, but the essays worries me the most because the time periods could be whatever and the topics either specific or general. However, I worry about second-guessing myself on the MC section. Overall, I'm just trying to prep myself for the MC section since that's really all you can do.

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:45 pm: Edit

Im worried about the Gilded Age and New Deal stuff the most. I think I'm pretty good on Reconstruction, 1920s, and Kennedy to Current (the last stuff Ive read, heh).

By Jens (Jens) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

how current should i study? my class is only going to get to Nixon.

By Jude (Jude) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

anyone else studying from the Princeton Review Book? I think it's good, but the review is very very brief. they say that they only touch upon the stuff that's gonna be on the ap, but theres a lot of stuff that's missing that i think is important. (i'm dying for a 5 so that my B+ can turn into an A) good luck on this test!

By Jewlovvv (Jewlovvv) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

I'm worried about reconstruction. I know NOTHING about it, whatsoever, besides the various plans for reconstruction & Johnson's impeachment. What else should I know?

I'm good at colonial era->pre reconstruction;
Then I'm good as hell from
end of reconstruction (what marked the end of reconstruction?! RAWR.) -> pre-vietnam.

By Conker (Conker) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:45 am: Edit

I just did the 2001 exam, and I got 74/80. I'm not too excited because my essays suck. I'm hoping for a better score on the MC section, believe it or not.

Half of the problems I got wrong were from 1914-present, so I guess I really need to work on that section.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 09:05 am: Edit

Reconstruction "ended" with the election of Rutheford B. Hayes. In the election of 1876, the electoral college votes of Hayes vs. Tilden were so close that there was this huge dispute. So, the votes were sent to the Senate to be counted... by a 15-man commission, which consisted of 8 Republicans and 7 Democrats. And Hayes was a Republican. So, essentially, there was a compromise: Hayes elected President for the withrdrawal of Federal troops from the South (in addition to a little clause about railroad subsidies). This marked the end of Reconstruction.

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Where can I get the 2001 Exam? I dont have any past exam questions for APUSH...Ive been using REA's tests for now.

By Kingjames (Kingjames) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

What's the best book to prepare for the AP US History Test?

By Varsityballboy (Varsityballboy) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

how often do they redo the AP US history test questions, i know they cannot redo them each year because that would be too hard of a task. my euro teacher told the class they redid the euro ones every 4 years. thanks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page