Ap European History-- Am I doing the DBQs the right way?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Ap European History-- Am I doing the DBQs the right way?
By Arow (Arow) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Hey,

I'm desperate for help on Ap Euro. I just took a practice test and did terrible on the MC. I also did the DBQs. Please read what I wrote and tell me if it is correct (And give comments or grades if you're nice). I spent a lot of time copying it onto here, so please help !
- Question: Discuss the way in which the French Revolution sparked a debate on the issue on human rights

The French Revolution began as an attack against the current government initiated by the Third Estates. Peasants suffered from high taxes and poor living conditions while the rising upper middle class strove to gain more rights. Every class in the Third Estat had grievances with the current French government, The french revolution, althought started as an act against the monarch, ended up promoting the rights of women, religion, and citizens, as wekk as right against racism.
The idea that the citizens deserve more rights originated from the Enlightenment. The idea was that man had a "natural right of humanity"(Document 1). These rihts were first proposed in France in the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen. In the declaraion, such natural righs were freedom and equalness all have and the preservation of liberty, property, security, and resistance to oppression. After the monarchy was overthrown, these rights became incorporated into the French republic.
The creation of the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen led to the creation of the Declaration o the Rights of Women by Olumpe de Gouges, who advocated the same ideas of the Declaration ofthe Rights of Man and Citizen in an attempt to increase women's rights and to bring awareness to the issue. As women witnessed the changes that were taking place during the French Revolution, namely the overthrowing of an existing government due to widespead dissatisfaction among a group and the establishment of extended rights, the women decided to do the same. They wanted to ovethrow an established order, the suppression of women's rights, and set up new rights for their benefit. Thus the French Revolution did not only extended the rights of all the citizens but also the rights of women.
As the rights of citizens and women were being established, so too were the rights of religion. As the Royal Edict of Toleration declares, "[the] non-Catholic subjects, deprived of all influnece on the etbalished order of the state. . . will only get from the law what natural right does not permit us to refuse them."(Document2) The belief in man's natural rights led to the establishedment of relgious rights and toleration. The strve to gain rights was no longer just political; it was also for religious reasons as well. This idea was reflected by Adrien Jean Francoise Duport when he delcared "that the freedom of worship on longer permits the distinctions be made between the polical rights of citzens on the basis of their beliefs." (Document7)
The principle of the natural rights of man lso led to the "abolition of Begro slavery in all the colonies." (Document 8). The decree also states that "all me, without distinction of color, residing in the colonies, are French citizens and will enjor the rights" (Document 8). This idea branched out from the Declaration of the Rights of Man. The French Revolution le to the abolition of racial discrimination later on.
In effect, the French Revolution was initally a struggle aginast the existing govenrment by the Third Estates. However, it led to the establishment of the rights of women, citizen, and religion, as well as the abolitionof discrimination and slavery. These ideas would later be expressed in the Napoleonic Code.

Please help! When I incorporate an idea from the DBQ, do I need to quote it in order to qualify as using the documents? What am I missing? Please help!! I just wasted an hour typing this.. and i got tons of homeworks. Help is appreciated God Bless :)

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I'm really sorry, but I have too much Euro of my own to really go through and analyze your essay. Make sure you know how to get points on the DBQ http://thecaveonline.com/APEH/corescoringdbqapeh.html - is the course rubric.

By Arow (Arow) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

ITs ok, thanks for your advice :)

Common people. Is any else kind enough to contribute?? I spent an hour out of my study time to type it up.

Thanks

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

If I were grading this essay, based on the rubric, I would give it a (5) out of a possible (9). You do a lot of things well, but unforunately to get full core points and some of the extended core points (which you have in your essay) you have to analyze bias and point of view in at least three documents. Even though you talked about some of the sources and authors, you did not go into detail how this affected the validity and content of the documents. Thus, you could not fulfill the basic core requirement and not gain any extended.
If you had remember to analyze bias and point of view, I'm sure you'll do fine on the DBQ. Memorize the rubric and remember to follow it, and you'll be on the path to a 9.

By Arow (Arow) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

Thats my problem, huh?

How should I show bias in my DBQ essay with this topic? I thought we were only suppose to answer the question, "Discuss the way in which the French Revolution sparked a debate on the issue on human rights "

Please give me an example .

Thanks !

By Apg (Apg) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

the best way to get points for POV is to say WHY an author or artist has a certain position. POV will become especially clear if you work through this exercise.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page