Secret DBQ Trick for AP American / U.S. History!!!!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Secret DBQ Trick for AP American / U.S. History!!!!!!!!
By Coincolectr (Coincolectr) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

All along this year I have been doing something strange on my DBQ's for AP American. In order to ensure that I have enough outside info., I have been basically writing the essay of the DBQ without much consideration of the documents. I would then go through the documents and simply site at the end of the paragraph (Document A, Document B, Document E) I would simply place the citation of the Doc. at the end of the paragraph where I discussed the topic in each of the documents given. Does anybody know what I mean? I get all 9's on my in class essays and my teacher says its fine, but I just don't know if it will cut it on the real thing! Please let me know if this method of writing an essay for the DBQ and simply citing the documents where they fit into my essay is an acceptable method for the AP! I simply end the paragraphs of the DBQ with the document letters that correlate to the topics discussed. Let me know what you all think! Thanks so much!!!!!!!! !

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

If it works for you, go for it! I'm not going to change my way of doing the DBQ right before the test, but it seems like a good way. What our teacher told us to use was PEDLIGS: (People, Events, Documents, Laws, Ideals, Groups, Supreme Court Cases - if applicable). We do that for the whole time people for about 3-5 minutes - no matter if it is completely related or not. By doing this we get lots of outside knowledge. I'm a big intro guy - that's where I "set the scene". Then to add even more outside knowledge, I write the "concession paragraph" before the conclusion - like if the prompt asks to analyze the validity of, I would state my case for the majority but also mention that in some instances another thing works too - to add outside info. I get 7-8s on my inclass timed writings, so it seems to work for me. Good luck!

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 05:15 pm: Edit

My teacher is amazing; she really knows what she's doing. And she once gave us a previous DBQ question as an essay question then noted how good the scores/essays were. A few days later she gave us the documents to reflect upon their significance and how we would've used them.

Her point and the obvious consensus upon doing this assignment was that when writing the DBQ it's best to not even look at the documents before you outline your essay. Do an outline with what you can THEN look at documents and decide where they go and/or what you need to add. This works very well in my experience, though I haven't taken the actual AP test. I guess we'll find out how well it works on May 7th...

By Terpfan101 (Terpfan101) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

yeah but make sure you include info from the documents!!! Otherwise you will be screwed. I got a 5 last year. Its really not too hard of an exam if you are well prepared. Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page