|By Wordsmith817 (Wordsmith817) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit|
My 9th grader thinks he wants to take the SAT II in biology in May. He's only taken one bio class. Did extremely well in the Honors Bio class this year and thinks he probably won't take the advanced bio class down the road. Says he doesn't really have anything to lose (just Mom's $25!!) but might do well since it's fresh in his mind. Anybody care to share opinions about this plan??
|By Over30 (Over30) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit|
My freshman is planning on taking it in June, after honors bio. The way our school schedules, he won't be able to take AP bio and AP chem, so will probably take chem, which leaves this as his last biology class. He hasn't started studying, so if that doesn't go will he may not take it. But, we figure this is a great way to get one SAT II out of the way early, and if he doesn't do well he'll have plenty of time to take another science. My older son waited until May of junior year and had to take all 3 SAT II's the same day. It was okay for him, but it was his suggestion that little brother start early.
|By Alesik (Alesik) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit|
I took biology SAT II after honors year and before AP and did well on it. Let him take a sample test from a prep book (gotten from a nearby library) and see how he does. And cover any areas which the school did not (some anatomy gets annoying)
|By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit|
I used Barrons SAT II Bio book after bio honors in 9th grade and got a 710 on Bio M. It's not too hard if you study extra for it.
|By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit|
Im in 9th grade and taking Hon. Bio im studying really hard, so far all my practice tests are 700+ even in Barrons.
|By Mlee (Mlee) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit|
Hi, same issue here - have a 9th grade son taking Bio (no honors available) and he is thinking of taking the SAT II Bio this June. His school recommends waiting until after AP Bio before taking the SAT II Bio, but he may or may not take AP Bio later. He just took the sample test from the Real SAT II's (M) and got a 700. However, I think he's ultimately capable of getting scores of 750 or greater in at least three SAT II's with some time for preparation. I guess I've heard that 750 or above is a particularly meaningful score. Does anyone think there is any harm in him taking it and having a ~700 score on his record (perhaps as a fourth SAT II), which might be lower than if he waited and took other SAT IIs (but then with more of a time crunch.) My apologies if this sounds braggy - not intended that way. Do you think the colleges really only look at the highest SAT IIs?
|By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit|
They do look at the highest. And scores from freshman year don't matter as much. An introductory course in bio is enough to do well on the SAT II. It's also very good to get SAT II's done with early so you won't have to cram in junior year.
|By Jrpar (Jrpar) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit|
I think he should go ahead and take it. My S took the Bio SAT II in 9th grade after regular Bio and scored mid 700's, after practice tests ( I think in Barrons) in the high 600's. Now that he's a junior, he's glad to have this one done - it allows him to take just two SAT II's in June.
Report an offensive message on this page E-mail this page to a friend
|Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.|
|Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only|