May 1st is coming..SAT II Bio..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: May 1st is coming..SAT II Bio..
By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Oh no oh no oh no. I have a 590 according to the SAT II Biology Molecular Sparknotes exam. I am taking Eco but this still frightens me. I had a 640 on the practice test for Eco in Princeton Review. What do you think I will get on the real exam?

I mean, how many people (besides me) know that actin and myosin filaments overlap each other in muscle contraction? I think I should be getting an 800!

By Greskel (Greskel) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

A lot of people taking the bio SAT IIs study and thus learn a lot about the subject. Think if you must, but 800's don't come to people who think they should have it. :)

Don't sweat it. Study your arse off. Whatever comes, comes.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

I was kidding about the thinking I should have it. lol?

But yeah, I'm studying like a mofo!

-50 mv is the threshold potential of neurons! thats when the voltage gated channels open. regular, or resting potential, is -70 mv.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

leak channels are far different from voltage-gated channels.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

What the hell are you talking about? Good God!

I just hope that the reason you scored a 590 is because you only know esoteric information like this. Unless it's not esoteric. Then I'm screwed.

By Foundnemo (Foundnemo) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

The questions about the ear last year cost me an 800 ... ARGH.

By Coincolectr (Coincolectr) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

I took the Bio and got a 700 with tons and tons of hard work. I barely did anything for the Chem and pulled a 720. I was happy with both. Just do your best, it has a lot to do with your mood on the day of the exam. Also, each test is slightly different. That is why they give you a score "range".

By Coincolectr (Coincolectr) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

I took the Bio and got a 700 with tons and tons of hard work. I barely did anything for the Chem and pulled a 720. I was happy with both. Just do your best, it has a lot to do with your mood on the day of the exam. Also, each test is slightly different. That is why they give you a score "range".

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Hmm..just took another and I got a 650. Is Sparknotes insane or what?

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Oh, and believe me, it's not esoteric.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:28 pm: Edit

It's weird; I can tell you anything about any subject in biology, but I'm still scoring in the low 600's. I mean, really. Zygote-Morula-Blastocyte-Fetus. A zygote is diploid, you crazy mofo! When your body temperature rises, your blood vessels in the dermis dilate. When your body temperature falls, they constrict. Cell-Tissue-Organ-Organism-Population-Community-Ecosystem-Biome-Biosphere. Community: Group of populations that live in a certain environment. The tundra has permanently frozen topsoil.

Anyway, I think learning the strategies that are in the front of my Princeton Review book will help me a lot...I rushed throught those two tests (finishing in 29 minutes) and I didn't recheck my answers or anything...but I will take the test seriously on test day.

By Aznsnake0307 (Aznsnake0307) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

I think Sparknotes is incredible easy. I scored 800 on it. Barrons is harder, i get like 730 on the practice tests. I hope i get 740+

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

how about kaplans how realistic is that?

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

So what do you think the most important things to know for the SAT 2 Bio are?

By Jude (Jude) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

for the sat2, do you get to choose either ecology or molecular the day of the test, or what... cuz i signed up for Bio E/M. just wondering cuz i wanted to take ecology.

By Redbarn (Redbarn) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

I took the Bio SAT II two years ago after taking Biology in 9th grade. Studied a ton. I was getting 650ish on practice tests from various books (Kaplan, Princeton, REA), but on the real thing I scored a 710.

A few words of wisdom...
The actual test is easier than practice tests because companies that put out books just want to gain your business -- by having you score lower on their practice tests and get a better score on the real test, you are more likely to buy their books for future tests. Also, don't cancel your test! I thought I bombed the Bio test but ended up with a great score.

For those asking, you sign up for E/M and choose which version you want to take when you take the test.

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Which one is harder in general? Ecology or Molecular? I'm pretty comfortable with both, but I can't decide on which one to take...

By Confusedjunior (Confusedjunior) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

I took bio 2 years ago after taking Bio in school. I got straight A's in an honors class, but I didn't know half of what you said up there. However, the class was geared more toward molecular biology; I pulled off a 700 on bio M without a single minute of preperation outside of the normal class work.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page