How do you use your 10 Reals?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: How do you use your 10 Reals?
By Brum (Brum) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

I'm trying to cram for the May 1st SAT, and doing the 10 reals, seeing which ones I got wrong, and seeing why I got them wrong doesn't seem to improve my scores much.

I seem to be doing different sections in chunks, rarely one whole test at once, simply because it's easier to fit in during the day.

I've still got about 6 of the tests remaining, all of which I hope to do before May 1.

When you study with your 10 Reals, how do you use it to improve your score?

By Chocoman (Chocoman) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

Try to simulate testing conditions as closely as possible. Do the test when you just wake up or about to go to bed so its like a dull saturday morning.

I've heard some people do better when practicing using 25-27 minute time limits instead of 30. It helps their timing.

By Brum (Brum) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:05 am: Edit

I'm also reading Word Smart to try to improve my verbal because there's always a bunch of vocab words I don't know.

(I should probably tell you what I got on my first try on March 27 -- 1390 730M 660V). I'm shooting for mid 1400s AT LEAST, hopefully I could get into the 1500s or even high 1500s (I feel I am quite capable of it).

But I still find words that I've never seen or heard of (like "lummox," one I just found last night).

I'm still scoring the same score (~660) on verbal.

Also, exactly how do you improve from ~1400 to 1500s or even 1600 using 10 Reals? Is it just learning the ropes of the test and knowing what to expect and "mastering" the test? What exactly do you take away from the 10 reals?

By Theli0nheart (Theli0nheart) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

I took only the verbal sections in the practice tests provided in Ten Reals, because I'm quite confident with my math. Anyways, I went from around a 67 on the PSAT to a 790 on a practice test. I find that the best way to use the practice tests is to find patterns in the questions and be able to identify the answer without even thinking about it. I also bought the REA SAT Test Prep book and memorized word lists. Keep in mind that I started preparing only about a week before the exam, so you're way ahead of the game. I ended up with a 720V 740M on the March SAT.

By Brum (Brum) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

And for you people who got 1500's (or 1600)---

were you _consistently_ scoring 1500's/1600 in your practice tests? Or were you sometimes about 1400, sometimes about 1500, sometimes 1600 in your practice tests, and your SAT just happened to be one of the high ones?

By Brum (Brum) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:47 am: Edit

bump

By Getmein (Getmein) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

I got a 1600 on the march SATs and the only real practice i did for it was to take one test from the 10 real SATs the night before. I have never taken a PR course or SAT prep or studied vocab or anything like that. Let me first say that I got a 229 on the psat (80 math and 73 verbal) and was quite disappointed to find that I was getting a lot wrong on the verbal section the night before the real test. I think on that test i got like a 1480 with an 800 math. However, the next day I got smary/lucky and was able to pull it together for the real thing. A lot of it has to do with how you deal with the pressure of taking the real thing. I for one, always do better on actual tests than i do on practice ones (and i mean a LOT better). For example, sophmore year i got about 190 on the psat and brought it up about 40 points with NO studying junior year. How you do on the real SATs compared to the practice ones you take largely depends on your ability to come together when it really matters

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

just take a test sparingly...DO NOT TAKE EM ALL AT ONCE!! those tests are great treasures...they are the ONLY real tests in this world that is released and that is applicable to the current SATs...

By Kkay (Kkay) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Brum: I got 1570 on my first and only attempt at SAT in October. In the 10 Real SATs, I usually got early 1520-1550, but in the last few tests(the most recent ones at the back) I got 1600 or 1580. So no, I don't think that if you get a range of 1400s you can expect to jump to a 1600 on a lucky break. BUT that doesn't mean it's not possible - difficulty ranges.

As Shaka suggested, I would really NOT do the tests in sections. Pretend it's a real test. I usually used much less time than the designated one during these 'mock tests' coz I didn't want to waste too much time and I figured I would appreciate the seemingly 'extra' time for the real thing. Take one test in one go.

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

yea, if you want to practice different sections, use barron's or princeton review or something...but save the 10 real SAT for the REAL stimulated testing

By Brum (Brum) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

could someone please elaborate on how you personally can sometimes sense what the correct answer will be?

like what Theli0nheart said:

"I find that the best way to use the practice tests is to find patterns in the questions and be able to identify the answer without even thinking about it"

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

JUST DO THE TESTS

you will feel the force

By Kkay (Kkay) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit

*lol* very Jedi Shaka

I think it's a good idea to read more on the techniques and strategies behind the questions first (from any old SAT book), then when you do them, like shaka said, it'll gradually dawn upon u

By Brum (Brum) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:49 am: Edit

the only book I have is 10 Real SATs

and I'm not sure if I should go out and buy another book when I've got only a week to study (and a very busy week at that).

Is there a place online where I can learn some of these strategies? Or could you guys give me a sample of the strategy you use?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page