Which AP should I take?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Which AP should I take?
By Girlx (Girlx) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

Right now I'm finalizing my schedule for next year (I'll be a senior), and I'm not sure whether I should take AP Spanish or AP Environmental Science. I mean, I'd do well in both, and I would *like* to take both. Spanish would help me just because I'd like to become fluent, but although I've taken eight sciences (Honors Biology, Honors Chemistry, Gifted Psychology, Honors Physics, Biochemistry, AP Psychology, AP Biology, post-AP DNA/Genetics), I wouldn't mind taking an extra one if it'd be helpful. If it helps, I want to double major in Biology and Psychology in college. This is also hard for me because I'd like to have as many AP credits as I can, and I know that Spanish is one full credit while AP Enviro is only .5. I just don't know which one I should choose. What do you think?

By Conker (Conker) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:22 am: Edit

You've taken AP Bio and Chem already (and hopefully, you've done very well). You can easily self-study an exam like APES. Take AP Spanish.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I concur. Take AP Spanish, it'll help you get credit for a foreign language in college (or at least serve as an elective) and you already have a ton of science classes.

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

take AP Span b/c you have a ton of sciences and that field doesn't even relate too much to your major (although it's a science so it does in a way)...

but spanish can be used anywhere. looks nice to take AP SPan anyway. and i'm sure if you like spanish it'll be fun, too. if you don't mind doing AP ES online, you can do that, too.

also, since when was there an AP DNA/Genetics??!?!?! that's so awesome

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

ap spanish, definately. colleges see AP Enviro as slack off class for people who just want to impress them.

By Ticklemepink (Ticklemepink) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Good point Jason817. You're a master in sciences! I think colleges will view APES as another class to boost your GPA because you konw your science stuff already while not challenging another field of study. I agree with you that AP Spanish won't kill you and it will definitely give you a strong foothold once you get in college. Speaking from experience as I never went being 10th grade Spanish and looking through college catalogues.. and wished that I had put in more effort :)

Be well-rounded.

By Girlx (Girlx) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Thanks guys... that's what I was thinking too... yeah, my senior schedule is well-rounded (I hope). I take a lot of sciences, but I also concentrate on literature... next year I won't even have a math (I took AP Calc AB and BC this year), and now that I've decided against AP Enviro, no science either.

And Wishful Thinker, there is no AP DNA/Genetics... this is just a class my school offers through our magnet program. It's a post-AP class, so we can only take it after an AP to specialize in an area.

Once again, thanks guys!

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 06:34 pm: Edit

ohh that's awesome girlx...i love genetics/dna. my dad gave me a book written by watson and literally, that's all i was bragging about that weekend.

and besides girlx SPANISH ROCKS. i'm not a native speaker but i love how it sounds. it makes me happy ^_^

By Jsberting (Jsberting) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:37 pm: Edit

take both

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page