Why Take Math IIC over Math IC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Why Take Math IIC over Math IC?
By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

If Math IC covers less advanced materials and is easier than Math IIC, why would anyone want to take Math IIC, especially if most colleges do not specify which math SAT 2 to take? Does it boost ur application to take IIC over IC? Otherwise, I do not see the logic in taking a much more difficult exam.

I am a junior and need to take SAT 2's in June. I want to take a math and was planning to take IC, but I don't understand why so many people are taking IIC. I am in Precalc this year.

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

IIC has higher weight with colleges...

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:49 pm: Edit

IIC has a lot nicer curve - so if you know the material that is tested on math IIC, you're more likely to score higher on IIC than IC.

By Hssoph (Hssoph) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Yeah. For example, a raw score of 49 in IC would lead to a scale score of 790, when a raw score of 43 in IIC would lead to a scale score of 800. Isn't that the obvious reason why people take IIC? And like Lahlahlah said, it has much more weights with colleges. If you're in Precalc, you should cover enough material to take IIC. You may want to look at both tests and see which one you would feel confident to take.

By Ticklemepink (Ticklemepink) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

I had that dilemma too. But I was nervous about the curve and the percentile on it... I had no idea where a person with a 600 would stand. So I ended up with a Math IC while taking Pre-Calc- TWICE because I was unhappy with my percentile and I didn't want to blow my chances by trying Math IIC on the spot.

Do what really makes you comfortable. If you want, you can just take IC in June and IIC in the fall if you felt that you could've done better.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

IIC has a very generous curve. I winged it, literally (five minutes of glancing at formulas). Walked out of the test very confident and got an 800.

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

If you are going into a field in which you need math (enginering, physics, etc.) colleges want to see you take Math IIC. If you need to take a SAT II but aren't going to major in math, take IC.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page