AP World History....is it hard?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP World History....is it hard?
By Isaman (Isaman) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Is AP World a difficult test? How does it compare to the AP US test? Do a lot of people pass or fail? Anyone have any tips?

By Greskel (Greskel) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

...they have an AP World History test?

Hmm. Our school doesn't have very many APs at all. If there IS such a thing, I'm curious as well.

By Imac7477 (Imac7477) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Here is the breakdown of grades in 2003 from the Collegeboard

5--11.4%; 4--18.9%; 3--25.9%; 2--23.7%; 1--20.1%

Mean Grade--2.78

By Adrianwuzhere (Adrianwuzhere) on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

i took it my sophomore year and my teacher was an idiot, and the class was a total joke. going into the exam armed with nothing about the 2 hours i spent reading barrons the night before, and what little i remembered from that class, i got a 3.. so i guess it cant be THAT hard

By Conker (Conker) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

World history in general isn't very hard. You don't need to know specifics--the general trends will suffice. If you're purely a memorization freak, you probably won't do very well, though.

By Rippledance (Rippledance) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

I'm self-studying World Hist now... and I think that as long as you have a clear understanding of the general trends and time periods you're good. If you try cramming every single date or detail in the textbook you'll probably die, unless you have a photographic memory.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

I'm also self-studying for AP World, but I've procrastinated way too much and I'm worried now. I took 2 years of regular world history back in fresh/soph years but i dont remember much of it. Knowing the test is May 5th, any tips?

Also, is there anyway to get a good estimate of your grade? I didn't see any grading rubric to see what your grade would be out of 5 in the Barron's book I've been using.

Thanks!

By Hiamerica (Hiamerica) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

How are the scores calculated? Like how much should i get on the mc's and essays to get a 5. Any idea.

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

I know definitely that if you want a 5 you should shoot for 75% of the multiple choice correct; remember, the test is really general and if you have been reading all year it seems that it is not that tough. I would also shoot for 7-9 on each essay to make a 5.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

well.. up to now, my teacher has only covered up to 1400 so around 50% of the exam and i ahve to study the rest on my own. would you think the barrons is enough? and how many hours do you think ill need to study the rest 50% in the week so i can get a 5?
thx a lot

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page