Are the Barrons SAT II prep book realistic?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Are the Barrons SAT II prep book realistic?
By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

I was planning to take the US history SAT IIs in June, anyways i got the Barrons prep books for that, took the diagonstic test and got ALOT wrong. and i looked through most of the book and practice tests and they really go into DETAIL on alot of things. Do i need to know all that? I have heard people say the Barrons make it unrealistically hard and others say it's not. For those that have took the test that used Barrons what do you guys think?

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:08 pm: Edit

the Barron's tests books are definitely harder then the real thing. I took a practice ACT and got a 23, and then took the real thing and got a 32. Also, you're in a different mentality when you take the actual test, and I think that kind of adds to your real score.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:30 pm: Edit

PR's book is more on target. I would use that instead.

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

thank you! i don't feel like such a dimwit now

By Aab123 (Aab123) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Is this also true for the Barron's Chemistry SAT: II book? I also got more wrong than I am used to on the Princeton Review books.

By Greskel (Greskel) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:40 pm: Edit

The chemistry test for Barron's is excellent, though it overprepares you for things. I've found the actual test to be quite easier than the book, and some things weren't even on the test. It's great if you have the time, patience, and interest in it.

However, if you're taking the US History test, I agree with using the PR book.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page