When to take what?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: When to take what?
By Korey (Korey) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:55 am: Edit

I know that there are classes that are recommended to take before taking each SAT II subject test. What classes should I take before I take the SAT II: Math IC and IIC? Also, should I wait until I've taken Chemistry II to take the SAT II: Chemistry test, or take it once I've taken Chemistry I? Are the History/Government/Geographic tests really needed if I don't intend on majoring in anything historical/political/geographical? Give me all the information you can from your experiences so I can decide when to take what...Thanks!

By Bluesea1988 (Bluesea1988) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit

You should take IIC after you take Precalculus, and/or Trigonometry. IC requires less knowledge about Trigonometry. And by the way, the curve for IIC is higher, so you can expect a better scale score from IIC if you already know the material. The average score of IIC test takers is much higher than that of IC.
About Chemistry, I don't know about how the Chemistry I and II courses at your school are constructed. Do they cover just 1 textbook or they cover 2 different books? Usually a high school chemistry course is only 1 year long. If you want to see whether you're ready or not, just borrow some books (10 Real SAT IIs, ...) and then you'll have an idea.
You can still take the History/Government/Geographic tests even if you don't intend to major in these areas, because they show colleges that you are well-rounded. But I think concentrating in few tests and get high grades are much better than scattering among many areas and not excelling in any area.
So it's just up to you, and these SAT IIs require tough decision. Some people wait until they take AP courses in those areas so their SAT IIs grades can be great. You can do so if you intend to take APs. By the way, what grade are you in?

By Korey (Korey) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

I'm currently a sophomore, but we only have about a month of school left...I'm also in Trigonometry, but I took it a year before I was suppose to. I'll just study my Trig binder whenever I decide to take the IIC test, which will more than likely be sometime next year when I'm taking Pre-Cal...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page