How to boost my verbal score?? Help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: How to boost my verbal score?? Help!
By Bluesea1988 (Bluesea1988) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:52 am: Edit

Hi! I will take the SAT I in March 2005 (i know, class of 06!). And I did really poorly on verbal part on the PSAT I took last October. The SAT I have to take will no longer have analogies, so that's one less thing to worry about. But still! I just want to know how you can practice for verbal? What books are especially good for verbal, such as to study vocabulary or to increase reading comprehension speed? This is what I got for the last PSAT: 45 on Verbal and 75 for Math, and 60 for writing, by the way.(toooo bad, wasn't it. Please don't laugh at me!)
Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

By Bluesea1988 (Bluesea1988) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

bump

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:57 pm: Edit

there's a book out already: "McGraw-Hill's SAT 2400"...haven't read through it (i'm a 06-er also) b/c i'm preparing for the old SAT first and seeing how i do but i believe it's one of the few new SATI books out.

if you had problems w/ the vocab, study vocab. if it's critical reading, take a bunch of sample tests and write why you think each answer is what it is and compare it to the answer book. it'll teach you how to think.

and reading comp. speed increases w/ simple reading speed. read more and you'll get through the passages more.

there's a bunch of vocab stuff out there like barron's,e tc. i especially like "Word Smart" by PR b/c it's all visual mnemonics and i suck at vocab. they also have vocab cartoons, websites and flashcards. take your pick!

By Bluesea1988 (Bluesea1988) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Thanks!
Anyone else?

By Terpfan101 (Terpfan101) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

practice practice practice, taking actual tests from ten real sats, that way you get a feel of everything. My score went up significantly on my third try to a 710. Over the summer before i did some tests. I think with practice i got a feel for the analogies and sc's (the words). Also a little luck certainly helps a lot! I had pretty decent passages and had the math experimental section. Imo its a waste of time to memorize hundreds of words.

By Miumiu016 (Miumiu016) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Verbal is so tricky. Is it too late to tell you to start reading? Everyone I know who did well on verbal didn't get their scores by memorizing words, although it certainly helped. They got it from reading, starting at an early age.

I recommend reading Catch-22. The prose is confusing as hell but if you can get through it, I can't imagine getting a reading passage on the SATs much worse than that.

By Susu (Susu) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Yes, read a lot. Read Dickens (big archaic words), read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand, read Founding Fathers by Whatsisname (same guy who wrote American Sphinx, a biography of Jefferson.) All three use big words, complicated thoughts, interesting material. Founding Fathers will help you a LOT in US History next year, too. I do not recommend wasting time memorizing vocab lists. Read instead.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Read War & Peace

By Bluesea1988 (Bluesea1988) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Thanks! Those books sound great! I'll check out some tomorrow!

By Bluesea1988 (Bluesea1988) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

Miumiu016, I do read a lot, and indeed it is my most favorite activity. But this is only my 2nd year in the US, that's why my vocabulary isn't good enough for the SAT (although I studied English for 3 years in my native country and never had to go through ESL). But SAT words are much more than that. I spent 9th grade here (last year), and now I'm a sophomore. I'm trying to do anything to brush up my verbal score (My math is good, so I don't have to worry about that). Last year I read 4 books: My Antonia, A farewell to arms, The good earth, and The call of the wild. And I'm trying to read as much as possible. But isn't it quite late to get a high score on verbal? I only expect up to a 600 (I hope!).

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

War & Peace is a MONSTER..about 1400+ pages!
AWESOME book though, Russian literature ownz.

By Jens (Jens) on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

i dont think reading war and peace is necessary. unless of course u have a lot of free time. i got a perfect verbal in the last sat, and the tip i can give u is to just practice the critical reading passages, the more u practice, the more u should "feel" it..am i making any sense?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page