AP EUROPEAN HISTORY TEST 2004 (ANXIETY,PREP,TEST,RECAP) !!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP EUROPEAN HISTORY TEST 2004 (ANXIETY,PREP,TEST,RECAP) !!!
By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

well the test is like may 6th right?! aish!!!
everyone throw in hints and tips help each other out!!! what's the best way we should go about taking the test?PLEASE, people who have taken the exam already...give us ur advice on what and how and when to study!!!!

here's my portion:
BEST REVIEW BOOK: Princeton Review: Cracking the Ap european history exam
FACTUAL REVIEW BOOK: Modern European History - Birdsall S. Viault

HUGE!!! Outline of everything you've learned(by Mr. Mercado):
http://www.homestead.com/chaffeyaphistory/files/Euro_Notes__Terms__Concepts.htm

another great review website:
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/sandersonAP/Notes.html

1999 released ap exam:
http://store.collegeboard.com/product_detail.asp?item=255169

hope this helps.

By Greenleaf144 (Greenleaf144) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:10 am: Edit

hey, i took the test last year.

k, I won't lie to you, it's a hard test. But believe me, if you study and really know the material, you'll do fine.

What do I mean by "know the material"? Read all of the Princeton Review book and answer as many multiple choice as you can. When I was studying, I broke up each night into a different period of time (i.e. Monday - 1600s to 1650s, Tuesday - 1650s to 1700s, and so on). It really helps just to break it down.

For the essay, just make sure you know the main stuff about what my teacher called "The critical european history points" - Renaissance, French Revolution, Industrial Revolution, WWI, WWII, Cold War...There is always an essay question on the Cold War, i've heard.

On the DBQ, use as many documents as you can. Be careful to identify whether or not a speaker is biased.

One final thing --> on the test, you can get something like 25 MC questions wrong, get two 6s and a 7 on your essays, and still have a 5. That's probably what happened with me.. I know I missed at least 20 MCs.

Good luck!

By Arow (Arow) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 11:05 am: Edit

I'm really nervous also since it is my first AP exam

What do you use for practice?

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:15 pm: Edit

thanks a lot greenleaf!!

also, i was wondering...
is the multiple choice really indepth?!
like for example...will reading princetonreview cover all the factual info needed?or should i read modern european history to know "enough".

By Arow (Arow) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

I found that you should read the sections in Modern European History for your weak areas

After reading the PR, I did not feel like a had a grasp of the subject. After I breezed through the Modern European History book, I felt much better.

I'm still worried about the essay though. What if they give me a topic I know nothing about?

By Imac7477 (Imac7477) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

I took the AP Euro Test last year and also got a 5...

Tigeruppercut...If you still have time, buy the Barron's or REA books and use their practice multiple choice, because they are harder than the real thing...I went into the test and found the multiple choice pretty easy since i practiced with those books...just relax it's not too bad, but study for sure.

Arow...don't stress too much. There are three essays in each group to choose from...you will be fine...here is a link to a lot of previous free response questions from past AP Exams...if you really want to make sure you ace the essays look at the essays and make outlines for as many of them as you can...or just discuss them with a classmate...

http://www.sewickley.org/~wbarnes/FRQs.htm

GOOD LUCK!!!!

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

AP Euro veterans, do you know anything about Cliff's? I am still confused about which book to use; REA's seems way too detailed, but Cliff's seems sparsed, and Priceton Review is not available where I live. Should I just go through my textbook?

By Greenleaf144 (Greenleaf144) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

tigeruppercut --> some of the multiple choice is a bit specific, like events in a famous person's life, but the social/economic questions are a lot more general (i.e. during the early 1950s, did the French economy...). I thought the Princeton Review really help, but Arow is right. You probably should look at your book if you have some weak areas, or if you don't understand something.

Also, one thing I did that really helped was that I made a list like this with columns:
1600s 1700s 1800s 1900s
----- ----- ----- -----
And then I listed major events in the major European countries' histories under each. I dunno, it helped me put the events into clearer perspective, like a timeline.

Hey, don't worry about the test. I'm sure you'll do fine!

By Relinquo1 (Relinquo1) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:44 pm: Edit

For the multiple choice part - I'd say knowing trends is probably more important than knowing specific events, especially if you are a good logical test-taker because you can make good inferences about the events. Use old MC tests or sample ones as diagnostics and study the types of things you often missed.

For both writing parts, especially if this is your first AP, you absolutely need to be used to writing under a strict time limit. My teacher gave only 30 minutes for essays on every one of our tests, and I think this was a huge benefit when I took the AP. You have to be clear and get to the point quickly.

On the Euro DBQs, practice is good - I had written 4 full DBQs before I took the test, and I had the thinking process down. The 3 main points my teacher emphasized were: Answer exactly what the question asks, group like documents together, and analyze bias of important documents (and general bias if you can).

I didn't use any review book, but really that was because my teacher was amazingly good. I mean, I got a 5 and I'd say at least half of 30+ kids got 5's. I don't like review books in history because they don't cover everything, they focus on what they think is most helpful. In math and stuff, they often cover more than necessary, but not so in history.

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

bump

By M2me4 (M2me4) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

For the essays, I feel that my AP teacher is not really emphasizing the economic and social trends. Should I review that a lot? Thanks.

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

M2me4...I have the same problem as you, so I'm just going back into my textbook and reading all the social and economic sections of the various chapters. In fact, I'm basically reading all of my textbook for the 1800 to Contemporary period, since I have just now come to the conclusion that all the AP european review books are totally useless, sigh. Good Luck! BTW, where is everyone right now in their review?

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

well, i read PR front to back already.
i'm gonna reread a few more sections to get it well. then move on to something else

By M2me4 (M2me4) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

I've read Barrons, but I don't feel like I'm absorbing all the info. Should I just read it again? I feel like nothing is going through. Argh!!!

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

that happens a lot to me too, when i try to read it fast. simply doesn't work, and wastes time.

By Arow (Arow) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

don't read barron. They are too general. I suppose you get a review with decent thickness and only look at those stuff you're weak on.

This is why I did and I feel so much better now. The review from PR and Barrons didn't help me. I independently studied for the test btw, so i might not hav a strong a background as you.

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

It seems nobody has answered my question yet, but I'll ask it again and hope someobody answers: Is the Cliff's book or the Princeton Review Book better in preparation for getting a 5?

By Greenleaf144 (Greenleaf144) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Princeton Review

By Becks (Becks) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

I am really nervous about taking this Ap exam ... i don't really feel prepared enough, but these suggestions have helped thanx.

By Karadarkblood (Karadarkblood) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

Hey! I'm from Canada, and I'm writing six AP exams this coming week. My school doesn't offer the AP Euro History Course but I'm working on it on my own, and I've got the Barrons review book and I'm seriously starting to freak out because I'm only scoring about a 60% on the MC (including the -1/4 mark deductions for wrong answers). The essay responses they have are also causing me a bit of stress because they are ridiculiously excellent; I was just wondering if any of you know how the marks (ie. 5,4,3) compare to percentage on the test. I know for AP Chem, a 70% is a strong 5, but for AP Psych, 80% is a 5. Any advice as to what to focus on the next few days would be tremendously appreciated! Thank you!

By Akyra (Akyra) on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

I was wondering, is there a site on the cold war that is relevant to the A.P. test? I don't understand it at all.
Please help, and thank you.

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

well, i'm gonna do my "quick overall review" these last few days and take two tests timed from the princeton review and 1 or 2 more mult choice from friend's REA.

GOOD LUCK STUDYING EVERYONE!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page