Most reactive metallic elements?????????????????????????????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Most reactive metallic elements?????????????????????????????
By Daromanian (Daromanian) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

barron's said they are on the lower left of the periodic table.
aren't they on the upper left?
such as sodium, potassium... etc...
what the heck, stupid barron's SAT II Chem filled with errors(such as saying the answer is B while justifying C).
ne thoughts?

By Athlonmj (Athlonmj) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Lower left is right. They have loner ionization energies since their valence electron(s) is very shielded from the nucleus and very far away.. so it's more likely to react.

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

But remember that the trend is reversed for halogens.

By Gottagetout (Gottagetout) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

Depends on how you are categorizing reactivity. Lithium (upper left) is very good as a reducing agent (i.e. very reactive when oxidizing -- more so than the lower left). The lower left elements, however, are highly reactive in just about every other way (especially when placed in water) due to the principle Athlonmj stated above.

By Scion (Scion) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

good job guys

also, F is the most electronegative, and Cs and Fr are the least electronegative... i think... haha... and im in ap chem...

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Cesium is incredibly reactive. Our chem teacher showed us a video of some guy reacting the Group I elements with water, and cesium broke the tank, whereas lithium just sailed around in the tank. That's how i remember. Visuals always help.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page