Predicting AP Bio Essay Questions!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Predicting AP Bio Essay Questions!
By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

So, all AP Bio people here, have your teachers made an attempt to predict essay questions on this year's test? An essay question about water hasn't been asked for decades (that would be great, huh) and an ecology question hasn't been asked in a while either. Ideas?

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

From someone who knows AP Biology pretty well, let me tell you what essays to expect:
#1: Genetics. Bet your bottom dollar theres an evil genetics one on there, most likely involving the Hardy-Weinberg equation. This could also be involved in an essay on population dynamics, which would be an ecology question (the test is about due for another ecology essay question).
#2. Most likely a cheap shot endocrine or negative-feedback system essay. The anatomy essays are always easy, and I would expect something like negative feedback to be on there.......maybe even plant anatomy/hormones/cycles. They haven't had that for awhile.
#3. Development of coelom and its advantages to animal development/evolution. It's a possibility along with the endosymbiotic hypothesis.

These are all possibilities so just be prepared. Good luck to all, and if you have any questions I'm at adidasty@aol.com

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

These are pretty common(recurring) essay prompts:

-Cell structure, (plasma membrance, etc)
-Photosynthesis and chloroplasts
-Respiration and mitochondria
-Cell division-meiosis, mitosis
-DNA structure and replication(3', 5', blah blah)
-Protein synthesis
-Natural selection
-Speciation
-Reproduction in flowering plants
-Plant tropisms and hormones
-Nerve trasnmission
-Muscle contraction
-Mesntrual cycle
-Succession
-Biogeochemical cycles

Knowing them can't hurt, since they're all tenets of biology that will be asked on MC if not on essay.

On another note: how are you all memorizing this info!? I've got like rubisco and anabolism and all of these terms just SPINNING IN MY HEAD! I need some help on how to memorize. Any advice? Especially from you, Ty! LOL.

By Number9 (Number9) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

>>I've got like rubisco and anabolism and all of these terms just SPINNING IN MY HEAD

Heh, I think I used that exact sentence.

Im just going to keep reading Cliffs and creat e-cards (via CueCard)

Has anyone been watching the AP people lately to see if they have given any clue to this year's essays? I know some people have reports for AP US History...

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Thanks for that CueCard program. I was ready to make hundreds of notecards, but this might be faster. The best strategy I can come up with is
1. Skim the chapter in the book
2. Read the Cliffs chapter indepth, visualizing everything.
3. Make notecards on all of the key terms in Cliffs and keep practicing with them.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page