I'm SCARED...of the SAT2 writing essay- help!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: I'm SCARED...of the SAT2 writing essay- help!
By Shaka (Shaka) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Hi

I was wondering...do you guys have any tips about how to come up with ideas faster and writing faster for the 20 min essay?

By Anduin (Anduin) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

I did the multiple choice all at once and then spent the rest of the time on the essay, which is very effective if you can do the MC both well and quickly. Just write a hamburger essay, don't try to be too deep or witty.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 04:44 am: Edit

Definitely play it safe with the essay. By that I mean make it your plain vanilla structure (Intro, 2-3 paragraphs of body, Conclusion). Most of the grade has to come from structure so don't try to be too adventurous there. As far as coming up with ideas- nothing you can do about that other than just relaxing.

-jesse

By Shaka (Shaka) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Is it good to be like...creative? or just be safe and use stuff like "in conclusion" as a connective for the last paragraph?

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

ditto...i don't know if anyone is from florida here but we have florida writes...is the essay kind of the same structure-wise? how much does word choice count?

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

You don't want to be saying "In conclusion." You start with an intro, which is 1 or 2 sentences, then you do your thesis with your main point, that sets up the rest of your essay. The thesis should include the quote (if there is one), or whatever the prompt is. It's reflective so the next paragraph will be a personal story, followed by an analysis of what you learned, followed by a paragraph of that type of situation in general. First sentence in the conclusion should echo the thesis, then 1 or 2 final thoughts should be fine.

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

I thought everyone starts off with the essay and has 20 minutes to do it. I didnt think that I would have a choice to do MC first then do essay.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

i think you could. cuz they give you extra time in the end for essay anyways.

By Shadow_Wolf (Shadow_Wolf) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I think you should write whatever you're strongest in. I wrote a creative essay (a story with dialogue etc.) because thats what I'm good at and my friend wrote the traditional essay because that came more easily to her (I received an 800 and my friend received a 780). But don't skimp too much on the multiple choice because its worth 2/3 of your grade, the essay is only 1/3 of it.

By Xranger (Xranger) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 02:50 am: Edit

I'm kinda nerveous too because I'm a recent immigrant and sometimes they use idioms for the topic that I don't even know the meaning, like I took one of the practice test and they had "every cloud has silver lining", I didn't know what that means.

Do they use different topic every time or do they recycle topics?

By Relinquo1 (Relinquo1) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 03:08 am: Edit

I think they use a different topic each time. I took it last year in April, my topic was like "Which do you feel is more important (or maybe it was valuable? I forget), style or substance and why?" It might have said give examples or something but that was basically it. We did have to do the essay first. I won't give any advice though because I did pretty crappily on it.

By Tired_Student (Tired_Student) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Well you could practice writing essays in short amounts of time.

The important thing is not to freeze when writing. Dont try to be perfect, because if you end up without a conclusion you wont get a 6 even if the rest of the essay is brilliant.

By Dumbya1206 (Dumbya1206) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

Do a google search on some of Ted Kaczynski's essays. The essays are dark and disturbing, but according to the ETS they are the best ever written! LOL!

By Forsakn4 (Forsakn4) on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

what happens if you get a topic that u dont understand like "cloud has a silver lining" i mean cmon what a stupid question

By Kkay (Kkay) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 08:02 am: Edit

Well, don't worry. I'm not a native speaker and I got 800 on my writing. My advice is similar to what everyone said - I wrote my essay, and when we were supposed to start working on the MCs, that's what I did. Then I finished them quickly (and well apparently) and then went back to put the finishing touches on my essay.

I agree. You won't have time to be very creative, but organization is essential.

By Lahlahlah (Lahlahlah) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

i heard that writing in conclusion helps you...

By Shaka (Shaka) on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 11:46 am: Edit

ok, so use connectives...and use in conclusion to help organization? Is it ok if the essay sounds like a freakin...affidavit? lol...like...all..organized but not that creative?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page