US Physics Team

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: US Physics Team
By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Hey...I was just wondering if anyone has recieved their results for the US physics team....I heard that it's supposed to come around mid-April...so I was just curious.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

the first invitations were sent by Fedex a few days ago. Those people had to respond by April 12, at which point I assume another batch of invitations will go out. You still have a chance! They changed the rules this year to exclude people from physics camp who are participating in other olympiad programs or other academic camps, so there will be more declines than previous years.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

k...thanks for the info...just wondering though....does the AAPT send any sort of notifications to those who didn't make the physics team?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

hmmm, that's a good question. I don't know. I'm getting my info from someone who was invited to be on the team. I don't know anyone else who took the second exam. My guess is that the others get their notification when the team list is on the website and their name isn't on it. Maybe as a courtesy your teacher might get the team list a little earlier than the posting on the website, but I wouldn't count on a personal "so sorry" letter if you don't make it. The last 2 years the team invitees were notified by phone.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

just curious....would there have been anyway that it reached my school and got misplaced or something?...i know i had spring break the week before April 12th......I know i might be sounding a bit overconfident here...but all I really want to do is make sure that I truly DIDn't get an invitation....i would sorta feel bad if i did, but it got lost.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

I think they are sent to student's homes, not the school.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

the team is posted:
http://www.aapt.org/olympiad2004/team.cfm

By Cnn (Cnn) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

no jefferson high school of science and tech! unbelievable!...

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

I'm thinking there's no jefferson high school because those students were forced to choose between the Phys. Olympiad and some other training camp this year. Anyways....I sorta curious, for those of you that did make it this year or some previous year....how well do you think you did on that semi-final exam (i.e how many questions did you fully answer...etc)?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

the person I know who was invited estimates he got 170 points out of 200.

You might be right about TJ and other olympiads. TJ usually send 5-7 people to USACO camp. That conflicts with physics camp this year, so some of those people would have to choose even if the physics people were not instituting a "one-camp" rule.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page