[UN]Official AP Prep Books Thread

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: [UN]Official AP Prep Books Thread
By Coolwar (Coolwar) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:36 am: Edit

I have been on this site for quite a while and like many of you, I have been thinking about self-studying for a few subects myself since my hs isn't very advanced. I hate going through the entire monstrous textbook so I usually stick to those condensed prep books for learning as well as reviewing. Countless threads had devoted to this matter so I decided to create a central, "unofficial" AP Prep book thread for current and future self-learners. Below is a list of prep books you might find helpful for independent studies as well classroom supplements. Feel free to add, delete, elaborate, or contradict with my suggestions. Good luck!

1. AP calc AB/BC: PR for learning, then supplemented with Barron’s and practice tests
2. AP Bio: Cliff Bio; supplemented with a regular textbook
3. AP Chem.: I’m not sure about this one, but I guess PR supplemented with Barron’s?
4. AP Environmental Sci: the Awesome guides
5. AP Physics B: PR + Barron’s (u may need a good textbook for serious learning)
6. AP Physics C: A textbook will do better than anything else. But PR is pretty good too.
7. AP Stat: Barron’s itself will do the trick
8. AP Comp. Sci A/AB: Barron’s (A Java textbook for serious learning)
9. AP WH: Barron’s (supplemented with PR, online resources and some other texts)
10. AP US: REA (supplemented with outline tests)
11. AP Lit: A lot of reading although Barron’s is pretty good
12. AP Psy: Barron’s (might supplemented with a textbook and online tests)
13. AP Art Hist: Not sure. Barron’s or PR or a text?
14. AP European: Barron’s (supplemented with a regular textbook, prob?)
15. AP Macro/Micro: Barron’s (supplemented with PR and a good textbook)
16. Other Foreign Language tests: Self-studies of those are rare; I suppose you need a strong foundation and/or a serious effort to put up a good score.

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:20 am: Edit

I liked PR for AP US... Maybe you could add it in addition?

By Number9 (Number9) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

Yeah, I second PR. I find it helpful for a broad review, then REA for more in-depth. PR offers good strategies as well.

By Emmittsmith (Emmittsmith) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

what exactly is "the awesome guides" for enviro?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:39 pm: Edit

here's the link for the Awesome Guide:
http://www.awesomeguides.com/ap%20environmental%20study%20guide.htm

I don't really know how good it is, but I've heard that the only other one avail for env. sci is terrible.

By Bifff (Bifff) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Do you have any suggestions for AP Language?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Barron's tends to be too hard and unrealistic for AP Spanish, I know that. My teacher recommended REA for Spanish. Do that, and if you feel you want even more of a challenge (which will make the AP feel easy) then maybe try barron's.

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

For AP Psych, 5 Steps for a 5 is supposedly much better than Barrons. For once, on this test, Barron's had too little information (as opposed to too much).

Ap European - Barron's might be good for some picky stuff but the questions are not similar to the AP exam at all. Princeton Review has really good practice tests and if you need more, REA is good too.

By Terpfan101 (Terpfan101) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

i also think PR has great practice tests and was great for apush.

By Ticklemepink (Ticklemepink) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

PR for Microecon, not Macro (tends to make it more complicated than usual)...

I used PR and REA (and so do most people at my school) for AP European and we all passed with 4s and 5s (very few 3s).

APUSH- REA although I should've studied harder :-P

My AP English teacher definitely recommended Barron's :)

By Protokurios (Protokurios) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

For AP Comp Sci A/AB, the SkyLit book is probably the best prep book. It's here: http://www.skylit.com/beprepapcsjava.html. One of the authors is a Comp Sci teacher at my school. I haven't used it, and I may not, since all the preparation at school seems to be sufficient.

By Buttcrack (Buttcrack) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 04:16 am: Edit

11. AP Lit: A lot of reading although Barron’s is pretty good

What about language and composition? Any suggestions for that one?

By Sonar (Sonar) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Chem: if you're just going for review, use PR. I took a look at my friend's Barron's, it's just another textbook. PR does an excellent job condesnsing material and explaining it thoroughly. After preparing with PR and old tests, the real test was easier than the chapter tests I had in the actual class.

As for Bio, I thought that the PR's Bio wasn't bad either, but I didn't look at any other preps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page