General AP Question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: General AP Question
By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

I am in a mini dilemma. I am going to take the AP US History test. I have already done an AP test before (and done very well, I.E. a "5"), and I also plan to take a few more next year.

So here's my question:
What if I don't do well? What if I recieve a 2?

When I send my scores to colleges, how does it work?

Is it like the SAT, where all the scores are sent, or can you pick the ones you want?

Because, I'm a junior, so won't colleges see this score?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

they will see every score... they are all sent to the colleges... there is no "Score Choice" Option

By Haithman (Haithman) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

I thought you dont HAVE to send AP scores, I mean you dont even HAVE to even take the test.

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

in my school, if you take the AP Course... you HAVE to take the test.. its in an agreement signed at the beginning of the year.. also, the Board of Education pays half of the cost if you take the class... you pay only $41 or whatever it is (but this is my school, i'm sure others have different policies when it comes to APs)

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

We don't HAVE to take the test. But it's a chance to get college credit. So if I'm in a situation where I have to take some humanities course that I don't want to take, I'll have the AP credit in my back pocket.

I'm waying the risk verse reward verse how much studying I need to start doing. (I would much rather spend my precious time studying for the SAT II writing)

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

It costs $5 per score per school to hide a score when you send it to colleges.

However, if you took the AP course and are conspicuously missing a corresponding AP score, colleges will know you suck and either 1) bombed it and hid it or 2) wussed out of taking it.

Take it and try your best. I'm sure you'll get at least a 3 or 4 if you study. And that's much better than not taking it.

By Imac7477 (Imac7477) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:45 pm: Edit

there is an option of witholding AP Scores...i think it costs like $15 (has this changed like it did for the SAT II?)...it doesn't matter...if you are applying to college, you shouldn't send you AP scores, just write them down on the app and mab exclude the bad one, although they'll probably think that you did not take that test and will wonder why. But if you want credit once you get into college, send them the scores and they will not kick you out if you get a 2. They do not need them for purposes of admission...they trust what you put down on your application.

By Mattman (Mattman) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:19 pm: Edit

You can withold AP scores but it is pointless. What most people do (who don't like to spend excessive amounts of money) is to wait until senior year and then send scores (they send all of them, unless you pay to not have some) to whichever college you're going to. Colleges won't get your scores until July and you'll have already been accepted for several months.

That way it is 1) free to send scores and 2) no fear about doing poorly.

Applications will ask if you've taken any AP exams and what your scores are but you it's fill in the blank, so you don't have to list it unless you so choose.

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:27 pm: Edit

So let me get this straight...

I could just write down the scores I want to on the application and pick which ones, then sent the official scores later.

That sounds great.

But do the colleges ever ask you to send the official scores?

And on the AP test when it tells you to fill in the colleges you want to send them to, who fills that out? I thought it was only seniors already accepted to colleges.

By Imac7477 (Imac7477) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

it is only seniors accepted to college who want to use them to place out of certain requirements.

Yes, just write them on the application where they ask for what tests you took and the scores...they trust you because they have too many applications not to trust(not that you would lie lol). If you want to earn credits or placement after you enroll, then next year on your tests you can indicate where you want your score on that particular test sent, and can also contact The College Board to have them send scores. You can withold a score if you really want to but there is no point after you are actually in, right? Good luck, Chamonix!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page