Can someone please give me a depressed student advice?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Can someone please give me a depressed student advice?
By Pscott6 (Pscott6) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

hey whats up,

i took the march 27th SAT and i cant believe myself. i actually went down from my horrible psat score despite taking a princeton review sat review course. (1000$--a waste of moneY)

i got an 1140 on my psat and then i got an 1120 on my SAT!! how could that happen?

on my diagnostic tests in princeton review i went up (from an 1100 on the 1st diag to a 1310 on the 4th one)
im not sure what to do now. im freakin out. i need to pull at least a 1200 but preferably a 1250 to get into a half decent school. im gonna retake it in june. should i take it again after that?
does anyone have any advice for a depressed student about what i should do...is there like an undeground boook i can use to prep so i can do better? i just need greater than a 1200

thanks,
Paul

By Antique (Antique) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Don't worry. Just keep trying harder. Besides, it's not like it's the end of the world. If you really put your mind to it, I'm sure you'll do just fine. Good Luck!

By Pscott6 (Pscott6) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

are you sure... is there anything else i can do?

thanks
paul

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Maybe just keep practicing, have you done 10 Real SATs? Just getting used to the same format over and over again can really improve your grade (it did for me).

Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

Brittany

By Chamonix (Chamonix) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Paul-

Maybe you just had a bad day. It happens to the best of us. On this board, there are all kinds excuses of why people didn't do well. Maybe in June, that day will just be your day. Anything can happen. Just keep on trucking away and you'll be fine.

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 07:26 pm: Edit

This is so freaky, the almost exact same thing happened to me. I got an 1120 also and went down from PSAT. Well what I'm gonna do is to work my behind off for the next SAT and then retake it in June. If I'm not satisfied with my june score, then I'll retake it in my senior year.

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Im really sorry to hear that, I know it must be really depressing :(

Ok. Heres what you need to do. If you are serious about getting a 1250, the good news is you CAN DO IT! ^_^

1. take all the practice tests in 10 Real SAT book. Time yourself. Do it every saturday or something. Make it a schedule.

2. Memorize the princetonreview hit parade word list or read a sparknotes vocab novel (online free)

3. Read The Underground Guide to upping your score.

4. Memorize the math formulas on the test.

Equipped with all that firepower you CAN get a 1250. I would know, I went from a 1010 to a 1340 ^^;;

By Susu (Susu) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Don't you have studying to do for your REGULAR coursework between now and June? Spending time on this one unfair/irritating/insane test could cost you results on tests you can't re-take. Just relax, chalk it up to a bad day, and sign up to take it in October (and maybe November.) Spend all summer working on it, as if you were training for a marathon. Deconstruct every practice test you take. Was it geometry stuff you got wrong? Pronouns? Distance/rate/time questions? Percentages?

You can go from a crappy PSAT to a good SAT. I did.

Remember to go to the beach, go on a date, take a salsa class. It's summer and your brain can turn to mush doing too much standardized testing.

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

"Equipped with all that firepower you CAN get a 1250."

Mychocopie,
I actually already had a 1250. The score that I was trying to get was a 1500+. But I'm having difficulties acheiving this feat.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page