Wasting my time by taking both AP CALC AB and BC courses????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Wasting my time by taking both AP CALC AB and BC courses????
By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:35 am: Edit

As stated...wasting my time by taking both AP CALC AB and BC courses my junior and senior years????? the main reason is i really don't feel comfortable taking BC next year even tho i could and i got too much other stuff to do this summer that's put into concrete (and preping math2c over summer). i heard BC and AB are only 2 chapters difference. but won't taking the BC AP test be so much easier then? besides...my math foundation isn't great....

what about this other consideration...
1. take AB in highschool (easier A and 5 on test) and BC level or some other adv. calculus course in COLLEGE

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:47 am: Edit

when you take the BC exam, you get an AB subscore which, i think, colleges use for placement. i'd go BC if we had it, but im pretty good at math.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

You should never do AB calc then BC calc because that's like taking Algebra I twice, which makes you look kind of lazy.

If you're planning to go into mathy stuff, you really have to take BC calc next year. If you think you're bad at math, then take AB and just don't take a math class in your senior year. (Double up in science or history or something).

By Ilovemath (Ilovemath) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

At my school, Calc AB is a prerequisite for Calc BC... I know, it is kind of screwed up.

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

What are u guys talking about...hmmmm. In my school (the avg. calc AP test score is like a 4), we use this book, where, during the AB, we study the first half of it. And then BC, we plow onto the rest...so, it is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO SKIP ANYTHING.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

You HAVE TO take AB before BC in my school. Its like taking Algebra I then Algebra 2, not Algebra 1 twice. You learn harder stuff based on the simple stuff you learned in AB.

By Tigeruppercut (Tigeruppercut) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

well like i said...
our school is just 2 chapter's worth of difference...

but could someone inform me on what college math is like? i heard that calculus courses in college often are oriented toward whatever major u have...ie: business calc, psychology calc.

DO U THINK ONLY COMPLETING AB IN HIGH SCHOOL (JUNIOR YEAR) WILL PUT ME AT A DISADVANTAGE IN GOING TO A TOP SCHOOL LIKE DARTMOUTH OR UCLA? EVEN THOUGH I MAKE UP FOR IT IN OTHER COURSES AND ALREADY AM DOING MATH 2C...??

By Justice (Justice) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

AB calc is lame...just do BC if you have it available.

By Girlx (Girlx) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Well, if you're on block schedule, then you probably should. Most block schools cannot fit all the topics required in BC (which really is supposed to be like AB plus a few other things), so they just split it into two separate classes. If this is the case, I would do it. I did that this year, AB first semester, BC second, and it's worked out well.

It all depends on how you feel though. How did you do in Precalc? Algebra II? Are you comfortable with math? Calculus is pretty challenging, even by math nerd standards, so just be sure that whatever choice you make, you are ready for it.

Good luck!

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

If you hate math and you're going to major in humanities and the crux of your college app is based on your kick ass history/english skills, then AB is fine.

If you're going to say how good you are at science or math....well, an AB class would undermine that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page