Question about SATs vs ACTs, and canceling act scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Question about SATs vs ACTs, and canceling act scores
By Ohlookasquirrel (Ohlookasquirrel) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Hello, I'm new here and not sure how helpful this board is yet, but I have a few questions.

I recently just got back my first sat scores and was initially extremely happy.

However, now I have the act's coming up, and I just registered for them (through my school, so I don't know if I'm going to have an admissions ticket or not), and sent my scores to the same schools I sent my sat scores to (yale, amherst, williams).

Now that I have my sat scores, and I don't have very much time to take practice tests or anything for the ACT, so I know my score isnt going to be up to par with my sat score, I'm freaking out and trying to figure out how to cancel the sending of my act scores (I take the test at my school in a little over two weeks).

Should I be worried? I personally feel like even though schools SAY they take the best score, that my 1600 sat score is going to look bad if my act scores aren't a 34-36.

If I bomb the act, is it going to make me look bad or will the schools just look at my sat scores?

Thank you for your help!

By Ohlookasquirrel (Ohlookasquirrel) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Oh, also, I was wondering if it makes me look any better that I got my score in one sitting, or if that doesn't matter.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

You got a 1600 SAT, and you're taking the ACT? Why?? I wouldn't even bother.

That said, the schools will take your highest score regardless, but I still wouldn't take the ACT with no prep. Honestly, cancel it without bothering to take it. Unless the schools you're applying to strongly prefer the ACT, it's really a waste of your time.

Schools do like to reject 1600s if the rest of your app isn't on par, so spend the time instead on ECs and other cool stuff that show you're not a bookworm.

By Ohlookasquirrel (Ohlookasquirrel) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:48 pm: Edit

I have my grades and I have a BIG time extracurricular (ballet: I've been accepted to tons of prestigious ballet schools and actually only take half days of academic school so that I can attend ballet for 3+ hours a day), so that isn't my main worry.

The thing is, I can't cancel taking the test because my academic high school requires it, and I've already registered with my school. I also need an ACT score to apply to my state school as a backup.

I know, I really really don't want to take the act. I did well on the plan (like, the pre-act), but I know I'm not going to pull of a perfect act score and I'm just freaking out about not breaking thirty on it.

I really was just wondering if I can cancel sending it to the big schools I'm applying to so as not to mess my app up there.

By Ohlookasquirrel (Ohlookasquirrel) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Anyone else?

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

You're not required to send your ACT scores to all schools, even if you take it... just don't send it except to the state school which would accept a 29 anyway.

By Ohlookasquirrel (Ohlookasquirrel) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

I already put down four schools on my registration, I did that before I got my sat scores.

I was wondering how to cancel that, if that's possible.

Thanks though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page