1540... should I retake?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: 1540... should I retake?
By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:31 pm: Edit

How's it goin'?

I got a 1540 on the March SATs... 800M 740V.

I was aiming for at least a 1550, so I almost hit my mark. Kind of mixed feelings about my score. I've only taken the SATs once and am a junior right now.

Duke, Princeton, and Cornell are my top 3 prospective colleges. Do you think I should take the SATs again? I really feel like I could've done better on the verbal (math was a breeze, I feel like I could easily ace the math again). I had a 79V and 77M (STUPID MISTAKE) on the PSATs.

I think I could get high 1500's and perhaps even a 1600 if I retook them... but do you really think it would make much a difference in the applications process?

I'm looking at majoring in Pre-med or Biomedical Engineering, or something in that area.

What do you think...?

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

no ._.; dont retake. you are super smart as it is to get a 1540. When I went to Cornell, I asked them about my SATs - a 1340 - and they said that they would much rather me not take the SATs again and work on a kick A essay. So thats just IMHO :)

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

No, it's not worth a retake. That score is good enough for any school and they routinely reject 1600s - the SAT isn't everything. You've shown you can handle it. Now focus on ECs and grades.

By Tsunashima1 (Tsunashima1) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Does rejecting 1600's give colleges satisfaction? I have heard colleges brag about this over and over, to the extent that it sounds like colleges hate 1600's.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

It does make you wonder, doesn't it? They seem awfully proud of themselves. In my high school, one of the class valedictorians had a perfect 1600 and perfect GPA, and both Harvard and Yale rejected him. He's Jewish, and everyone immediately assumed that was why because he was also really active in ECs. He got into Princeton and went there.

By Melissamelissa (Melissamelissa) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

r u retarded

By Aspirer42 (Aspirer42) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Concentrate on your SATIIs. I got into Duke with a 1520, and I personally feel that my academics are probably the strongest part of my application. It's better to have a better all-around application (spend the time on SATIIs, grades, essays, etc.) than going for the 1600.

If you really want it, just take it in June of your senior year. Of course, you probably won't care by then. (Trust me.)

By Justwannahelp (Justwannahelp) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

i say take it one more time! on the chance you just have a better day on your retake, you might get a few points higher- it's one saturday. what the hell.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

I say stay. Your score is fantastic and doesn't need improving. And there's the chance that you will score lower, which could hurt a bit.

However, if you have time, and you're willing to devote time to doing practice tests and improving verbal, then take it again.

By Skapoor1 (Skapoor1) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

People make the argument that colleges reject more 1600s than they accept. For instance, Stanford rejects 69% of them. However, 31% is a hell of a lot better than 13%, so if you think you can up the score by 40-50 pts, i would retake if i were you.

By Toblin (Toblin) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

A long-time admit guy told us that no top-tier college will ever reject any "self-paying, 1500+ SAT applicant". Even though that person maybe far TOO full of himself. He works for an Ivy.

By Npatrick6 (Npatrick6) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah... I'm leaning towards not taking them again, but I might in October (I'd have to take them then because I'm probably applying to Duke ED). I really feel like I can up that 740... there were a bunch of really dumb mistakes I made that I realized afterwards (and I got the equivalent of a 790 on the PSATs). If I feel like I did worse, I'll just cancel the scores.

We'll see. Thanks again for the tips.

By Jason (Jason) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:15 am: Edit

I retook a 1530, and improved my score quite a bit...although I'm not sure if I should have bothered. It's personal preference really.

Remember that something like 75% of people who get a 1540 will see their score go *down* in a re-test. Only retake if you're reasonably sure that you're not going to be part of that 75%.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:08 am: Edit

I got a 1560 and was pretty bummed out, especially since I didn't get an 800 on math (790). I've pretty much decided on not retaking though, since it only makes sense to retake if it is highly probable that you will score higher, and it's really just not worth the extra work to increase your score by 20 points and even have it potentially go down.

So yeah, I wouldn't retake it. If I were you, I'd take the ACT. If you do poorly on that, it doesn't hurt. It can only help, especially since that 1540 is already a nice fallback score. I'm doing it :).

By Silverfish (Silverfish) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:44 am: Edit

how about a 1510 then? (800M, 710V) would my verbal appear to be too low compared to my math? (I'm thinking about Business major...at UPenn, Berkeley, or UT Austin's Plan II)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page