**HELP!** Critical Reading - Reading Comprehension for SAT I

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: **HELP!** Critical Reading - Reading Comprehension for SAT I
By Wanksta (Wanksta) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Hey everyone. I'm one of the top students at my school in all subjects, including english. However, my SAT I Verbal score is extremely low (600-650).

I really need to boost this score up. I'm having trouble with the reading passages the most (I get bored most of the time half way through the passage and forget what I just read :(). Analogies and SC are not bad, but they can be improved as well. Please post any suggestions for improving my verbal score in all aspects. Thanks in advance.

Post your verbal tips and tricks here!

By Wanksta (Wanksta) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:18 pm: Edit

help!?

By Wanksta (Wanksta) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

By Wanksta (Wanksta) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

bump

By Wanksta (Wanksta) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:42 am: Edit

bump

By Wanksta (Wanksta) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

can someone please help me??

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Dude if you keep bumping your posts like that you're going to get banned from this forum by the moderators. It pisses everyone off.

If you want to increase your verbal score I would highly recommend getting your hands on either Cracking the SAT or Verbal Workout, both from Princeton Review. The Cracking book has a bunch of practice tests so if you want more full tests, get that one.

By Susu (Susu) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

First of all, figure out exactly where you're losing it. Critical reading? Vocab? Grammar? If you're rich, hire a really good tutor (make sure it's someone who knows enough to carefully deconstruct your current results before launching into a canned tutoring program.) If you're not rich, go to the library and get all the test prep books you can get. I like Princeton Review, 10 Real SATs, and the Gruber book. To each his own. Good luck.

By Shadow_Wolf (Shadow_Wolf) on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 02:56 am: Edit

If your problem is simply that you're getting bored then I recommend that you look at the questions first and make a notation next to any lines that pertain to that question..then you can go back and reread those sentences and not get bored. This isn't so great for those overall questions that ask you for a tone, but if you're a fast reader then you'll have enough time to skim the passage again and get an overall impression. It really depends on you..try different techniques until you find one that helps.

By Wanksta (Wanksta) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Come on CCers! Help!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page