SATII's for tenth graders

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: SATII's for tenth graders
By Soapbrush (Soapbrush) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

Greetings...

I am a tenth-grade student at a small public school with an (unfortunately) extremely weak academic curriculum and little staff involvement with academic pursuits; consequently, I have heard nothing of the SATII tests.
On CollegeBoard's website, a tenth-grade college planning tool suggests taking SATII tests in my "strong subjects" at the end of tenth grade; as I know extremely little of the SATII's, though, I am unsure as to the practicality of undertaking an SATII test so soon.

Thus, I am interested in knowing if any of you took any SATII tests in tenth grade and, if so, which specific tests these were, how you performed on them, if you ever took the test on any subsequent occasions and which tests you saved for later years (presumably the end of your junior year...or...thereabouts...am I far off?)

Furthermore, any comments pertaining to the SATII's transformation given the upcoming refinements to the SAT testing system would be appreciated as well - should I, perchance, postpone taking any SATII tests until the "new tests" are available?

By Tanman (Tanman) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

You should take the SAT II's that go with whatever classes you are taking. If you've taken Honors Chemistry, for example, you may want to take the SAT II Chemistry. I took precalculus my sophomore year and took the SAT II Math IIC the following June. I put off taking science exams until after I took the AP class. This June I will be taking Writing, Biology M and possibly Chemistry since I'm taking Chem and Bio AP this year.
If you're unsure of how well your classes have prepared you for the SAT II's, go to your library and look through some of the SAT II prep books.
As for the "new SAT", as far as I know, the only SAT II that will be affected is the Writing. The SAT II: Writing Test will no longer be offered after January 22, 2005 when the New SAT I is offered.

By Crypto86 (Crypto86) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

I took Bio M in 9th grade after my Bio honors class and got a 710. I took Chem last year after my honors class and got a 700. Definately take them after you complete the course. If your learning is "below-par" because of your school, then get practice books and teach yourself - it will aid your in class work and help you get a better score.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

you should take the SAT II tests whenever you have "maxed out" the corresponding subject. So, for instance, if the only US History course you expect to take happens to be in 9th or 10th grade, you would take the exam at the end of the course when it's fresh in your mind, not a year or two later after you've been taking some other history course that won't be on that exam.

By Mychocopie (Mychocopie) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

i took chemistry after honors chem and got a 680 , japanese sat ii after a 1 month trip to japan - 720, math ic after years of math - 530

ouch. -_-; i sux

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page