How To Get a 1600 in One Year

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: How To Get a 1600 in One Year
By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I'm a sophomore in high school and my SAT score (well, according to the PSAT) was an 1150. 70 V, 45 M. I have one year before I take the SAT (the new one). What should I be doing right now? The new study guides for SAT 2005 aren't out yet, they will be this summer, but what can I be doing now? Or this summer? How many hours should I study a day? I'm determined to get a 1500+!

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

I didn't study at all for the PSAT and I hadn't taken Geometry at the time of testing so therefore I just omitted all Geometry questions (is Geometry capitalized in that sentence?) and I got all the Algebra questions right but half the test is Geometry. Whoa run-on sentence.

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

DO DO DO study the existing books- the test isnt changing that much. Do all of 10 reals, do Kaplan's Writing SAT II book, do Gruber's math review. This is not a waste of time, but will give you a very solid background and review concepts you might have forgotten. For verbal, reading those passages can never hurt. Then when the new books come out, get those and do the practice tests also!
Maybe a math IC prep book would give you the trig stuff for math?
WIth determination and hard work you will get anything you want.
Good luck!
~Kiwi
PS, I do really really hope you get more than a 1500....seeing as the new one will be out of 2400 ;) :P.

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Oh hahahaahahaha. Okay I will start reviewing the current books. I have quite a few.

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Sorry....little hyper right now :)
Good luck on your quest to 2400!
~Kiwi

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

lol that's okay. Right now I'm sort of busy studying for my Bio SAT II, which I am hoping to do well on...right now I'm practice-testing at around a 680, which makes no sense because I have been studying nonstop since a month ago..but oh well.
The only reason I care so much about the SAT is because my grades are low... (think B/C range) and this is my only hope! AHH!

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

If you need any help w/ bio you can drop me an email. :)

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Oh hmmm well I just am having trouble with remembering all of the molecular crap that I hate...like glycolysis, ATP, NADPH, Krebs Cycle, PDC, electron transport, oxiditive sumthin sumthin...I'm just throwing out random words here hahaha. And then I was taking this one practice test and it was practically all about cellular respiration, something I'd barely reviewed at all. Yeah. Back to studying...

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Aw...well maybe you want to consider taking Bio E? Then you wouldnt have to do the molecular stuff as much. You still need it, but not so badly.
Just know the BASICS about cellular respitation. What text are you using?

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:24 am: Edit

Princeton Review. Getting Barrons next weekend, but I'm taking the May 1st exam.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

as biology goes, I am the Bio-Master. If anyone needs help in biology, just email me. Last year, based on standardized test scores, i was in the top 5 students for biological sciences. i am a sophomore and enrolled in a few college advanced biology classes and an ap bio alumnus. Bio rocks!!!!

By Kewlkiwi102 (Kewlkiwi102) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:11 am: Edit

Wow Adidasty! Which standardized tests did they use to give that ranking?
The AP and SATII? Or are you talking about the Bio Olympiad?

By Nyu2010 (Nyu2010) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Adidasty, can we just talk about bio on here? I currently do not have a working e-mail. Here are my questions for you:

1. Please explain cellular respiration to me in short. Here is what I know:
ATP is like cash
Glucose is like a check
Glycogen is like a bank.
WTF? haha..

2. PDC? What is this (in basic terms)?

3. Do anaerobic organisms conduct the Krebs Cycle?

4. How does DNA replicate itself?

These questions are open for anyone to answer!

By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

i can answer some if you dont mind :)

By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

ok well i will anyways since i dont have anything else to do...
1) cellular respiration is when the mitochondria makes ATP by breaking down food molecules or something liek that. there are three parts to the respiration: glycolosis, citric acid cycle(krbs cycle) and the electron transport chain. Ok glycolysis breaks down glucose(c6h12o6) into 2 pyruvic acids (c3h6o3). This part requires NO OXYGEN ( anaerobic). The Pyruvic acids move into the mitochondria and goes through the aerobic( with oxygen) stages. The acid loses a carbon dioxide molecule and connects w/ a coenzyme A to produce acetyl CoA. Then it goes into the citric acid cycle or the krebs cycle, whatever you wanna call it, and the glucose is broken down and one atp is made after each run through the entire cycle. Then electron carries take the electrons through the electron transport chain. Remeber that oxygen is the final electron acceptor. The oxygen molecule is used to create water to move proteins through the transport chain...sry that was as simple as i could make it..my bad

2)...i think PDC means Plasmacytoid Dendritic cell..

3)No the krebs cycle along w/ the electron transport chain are the aerobic phases of cellular respiration..only glycolysis is anaerobic

4)DNA replicates itself when an enzyme breaks the hydrogen bonds between the nitrogen bases..as you know dna is made up of nucleotides that include a sugar, phosphate group and one of four nitrogen bases. When the DNA is split by enzymes..free nucleotides come and attatch to the singe sides of the DNA, matching the nitrogen bases togethor( a to t and c to g) to form two complete strands of dna. Then those dna strands are split and the same process happens all over again.

i hoope these are helpful and correct lol..but im a freshman and i dont really know a whole lot about all that

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Im studying for the SATII BIOLOGY non stop as well!!!:)!!
I got April- May(half of it because Im on finals)-June(to finish) all to finish the Barrons SATII Bio book. will take the test in October.

And Im also gonna prepare for the SATII CHEM
In July-August-Sept (half of it, other half used to review the Biology material)
will take November.

So why Am i not taking the Bio test in June, CUS IM MOVING!!!! WOHOOO FROM MEXICO -OHIO!!!:)!!!!!

By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

anyone know any good sat practice books

By Adrianwuzhere (Adrianwuzhere) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

well what i think you might be forgetting is that the SAT is changing to be out of 2400 instead of 1600 in may 2005. they are putting in a writing section (yes you acutally have to write an essay) and getting rid of analogies and some other stuff. So if english is your thing, then this could be good news. 70 verbal is pretty good.. just concentrate on your math

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page