SAT dilemma...for sophomore's

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: SAT dilemma...for sophomore's
By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Ok so I am a sophomore in HS right now and have signed up for the June 5 SAT. I know that I have the potential to score reasonably high (aiming for 1450+). The problem is that I am a sophomore and there is rumor going around that colleges will only accept the New SAT coming out next March. I want to get the SAT over with (and the SAT II Writing in October) so that I may focus on other important things like Extracurriculars, SAT II's, and AP exams. I know that in the New York Sun a couple of weeks ago they said that colleges would still accept the current SAT for us sophomores and on collegeboard's website it lists colleges that will still accept the current SAT as long as you also provide an SAT II Writing component. Well the schools that I wish to apply to are on that list (you can see them in my profile) so I thought I was safe, but on this site everyone says that sophomores have to take the New SAT. Can someone please help me out?
Thank You

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:39 pm: Edit

By Varr (Varr) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

Im a current sophomore as well, I understand your concern about the NEW SAT, Im gonna take the NEW SAT in May, AND RETAKE IN OCTOBER.
SATII BIO M - October 2004
SATII CHEM- NOVEMBER 2004
SATII MATHIIC- JUNE 2005

NEW SAT - MAY 2005 RETAKE OCTOBER 2005??

why not as the schools directly??

By Drusba (Drusba) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:07 am: Edit

The problem you face is the following: most schools have not said yet whether they will continue to accept the old SAT for 2006 admissions. That College Board list does NOT tell you whether the particular college will accept the old SAT plus SAT II writing in lieu of the new SAT. All it provides is a list of schools that have already determined that they will require a writing test, but for the most part they have not said yet whether that means the old SAT plus SAT II writing will be enough or the new SAT II will be required. In fact, the College Board list includes all the UC's but those have announced that you must submit the new SAT. Thus, it will depend on each school and you need to check with each for a determination and unfortunately the answer you may get from many right now is that a final determination has not been made.

By Altairaqua (Altairaqua) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

I'm a sophomore too, and I'm planning on just taking the SAT II Writing in December 2004. Then, since I live in Louisiana where the ACT is required for the TOPS program, I'm taking the ACT with writing in February to send to any colleges that do not accept the old SAT.
I remember a couple old threads about this and there were several other people doing the same thing (planning on submitting the old SAT + SAT II Writing). If you think you can do well with the old SAT, and you're relatively sure your colleges of choice will accept the old SAT, GO FOR IT. It can't hurt. (Out of your listed colleges, I've heard Yale at least will accept the old SAT.)

By Benzo415 (Benzo415) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

My sister's a sophomore, and I told her to not even CONSIDER taking the SAT I before they change it in March 2005. It would be a waste of time in money for sophomores to take it before then in my opinion.

By Arow (Arow) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

So...

If I take the New SAT, I don't need to take the writing sat ii right?

In my opinion, I think its wise to take the new SAT as well. They changed the SAT for a reaspn and I suggest that you take it. If you do well on the new one, it will really boost up your chance of admission. These days people with 1600's and high 1500's are easily rejected, and you can see why because the old SAT is no longer as important on your application anymore.

I suggestthat you at least take the new and old one. Don't wimp out! :)

By Haithman (Haithman) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

Man! I just want to take the current one because I know I can do well in 2 months and so that I can focus MUCH more on my EC's that I am passionate about (Soccer, Tennis, Physics, tutoring). If I wait until next March I will have to study for the SAT's, take 3 SAT II's and also about 5 AP exams at the end of my junior year. If colleges are still willing to accept the current SAT, im just gonna roll with that.

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

why not take the 3 SATII's and while you wait for the new sat??
Thats what im doing anyway.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

haithman, what did u get on the march SAT???

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

I didnt take the March, I have just been getting 1450-1500 on my practice tests.

By Adidasty (Adidasty) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:19 pm: Edit

you guys, i am mad. i consistenly score in the upper 1400's, low 1500's on practice exams and then i take the real SAT and get a 1320. 690M, 630V. i just dont get it. it sucks.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

Pick up Gruber's for Math because I am sure you can score 730+ and for Verbal just keep on doing practices in 10 Reals and learn vocab.

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Adidasty, which books did you use to prepare??
and how long did you?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page