Is it me, or was the Critical Reading really hard on march 2

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Is it me, or was the Critical Reading really hard on march 2
By Neelesh (Neelesh) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

For me, the critical reading killed me.. I'm pretty sure about it, because i know that i did horrible on them. I didn't have enough time to read them and left a bunch of questions unaswered....

but did the CR seem really hard to you? i thought it was way hard, at least, harder than any other CR that i have praceticed w/ (10 real, princeton review)

what do you think?

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

i got an 800v on march 27, and i thought the CR was moderately difficult. only one passage was really mind boggling though, and that one turned out to be experimental.

By Ratix (Ratix) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

The march SAT was the worst EVER. Dropped 90 points. Depressing, also pissed. 20 points decrease in verbal. I don't think it was hard when i was taking it but the scores shows all.

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

I actually found the reading to be very interesting. I think the killer was the one with the man who never had a family and finally found one, but that was interesting too - it was just the questions seemed so subjective.

I received a 740 on the verbal.

By Vtoodler (Vtoodler) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

the march 27 sat was killer: both math and verbal. I dropped 140 points on the verbal and 80 points on the math (compared to math PSAT). Although the critical reading passages were very interesting, they were also very philosphical and it was sometimes hard to pick out the complex meanings behind them. I left about about 11 questions blank either because I didn't know or didn't finish. It was horrible. My mom will kill me once she finds out. Looking at my PSAT and SAT scores, my score should be a 1400 or 1500ish but instead I got a very suspicious 1120. What a mess.

By Gameguy56 (Gameguy56) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

I liked the passages, especially the one about the puerto rican girl in New York

I got a 740 verbal

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

It was my first time taking test, and I also slept terribly after watching a crappy movie (Frantic, directed by Roman Polanski and starring Harrison Ford).

I took the test in an unfamiliar environment, adding to my anxiety, and the fire alarm went off during the 2nd section. Murphy's Law pretty much went hog-wild during my SAT I test.

However, I managed a 690 verbal, which I suppose is decent. The verbal didn't seem harder than the 1 practice SAT I've taken from 10 Reals, on which I got a 700 (and that was a very conservative curve). If I studied a bit of vocab, I'm sure I would have been 700+. Math, well, let's not talk about math. I did crappy on that part, 630. Consequently, I'm actually going to prep for June exam.

As for your question, the verbal didn't seem too terrible- reading passages were easy except for the stupid one about the prince (which was experimental). It seemed about as hard as the practice test I took, and I prefer critical reading simply because you don't need to know any vocabulary- it's just reasoning.

My best guess is if it was that hard- practice, practice, practice!

That's my plan for the June SAT- I'm aiming for at least 1400s, not because of college, but because I would be very proud of myself and it would be better than pretty much anyone in my school (urban school, horrible SATs).

If you want a way to make yourself study consistently, print out a schedule you will follow every day and tape it to a wall wherever you do your work. Include about an hour of SAT prep per day- I think it will work. That's my plan.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but good luck to you Neelesh.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page