Math section of SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Math section of SAT
By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:09 pm: Edit

When I take the math sections of the SAT in the Real SAT's, I tend to make careless mistakes, screw up on the easier ones, and get a much lower score that I believe I am capable of. Does anyone have any suggestions- anything that has worked?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

I said this in another post, but careless mistakes are best avoided by (what else?) being careful. But more than that read and think through each question before you start to work it. Make sure you don't miss any key words or calculate something they don't want. Most importantly, you need to do all of this the FIRST time you read the question. Generally if you're checking work, you won't catch simple mistakes like that, so you have to do everything right the FIRST time. Make sure you do it right when it's fresh in your brain.

You're not in a bad position though, you can do the harder problems AND you can do the easier ones. Thus, you're capable of 750-800. Just make sure you're not fooled by something you know you can do.

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Thanks - that's very helpful. Good thing I have plenty of time to practice this- not just for the SAT's, but I think that will solve my math qualms in general! :)

any other suggestions?

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:28 am: Edit

bump

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Gmf05, what would you suggest, for Math SAT, if I've used up all the 10 Real SATs in the book. I got a 740 on Math (March 27). Thanks

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Ummm. I had a Kaplan book that I bought just for practice tests. It had 4 (I believe) in there. And it also had a little bit of writing practice. With a 740 there's no "prep book" you need, just practice tests. So really anything with more practices is fine.

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

ok thanks, yeah I've run out of practice tests unfortunately.. I'll look into that Kaplan book... any1 wanna suggest other Math books (obviously besides 10 Reals)?

Gmf05, 740 Math - how many do you think I got wrong? (I didn't leave any blank)

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Um, 1 wrong was still 800 so if it went around 800 800 780 760...Probably 3 wrong, that would drop your raw score down another point.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:59 pm: Edit

One strategy is to work your way through the problems as fast as possible. Half the alloted time, for example. And then check EVERY single problem twice.

That eliminates 95% of careless mistakes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page