Methods and materials for SERIOUS vocabulary improvement

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Methods and materials for SERIOUS vocabulary improvement
By Playbig (Playbig) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

....What are your preferred methods and materials to seriously improve vocabulary? Please list any books like "Word Smart", "Word Smart II", "Hot Words" that you'd recommend...also sources of favorite word lists...Any other tips???

Thanks....

By Varr (Varr) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

look for the Vocabulary wizard program at downloads.com

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Ditto. Most of the stuff that's useful is online - lists and the like.

Also, try learning the roots of words (not TOO in depth but to a point) and memorize words in groups as synonyms. There are many words for talkative...memorize them all together. It helps.

By Varr (Varr) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Gmf05 which prep book did you use for MATH?? for the SAT

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

The way I learned vocab was gathering a bunch of relatively short lists (150-250 words each). These were lists of common SAT words, like hit parades and the such. By crossing out the words you know, it is easy to learn the rest. Also, while I was reading magazines and novels and came across words I didn't know, I wrote down the words and looked them up. In this way I had no trouble on analogies and sent comp on the test in March.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

That Vocabulary Wizard is full of Adware, and if you get rid of it with Ad-aware, the program doesn't work. Any way to get around this?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:27 pm: Edit

Sorry to say, but I didn't prep for math. It doesn't really cover a whole lot of math topics besides your basic algebra/geometry. There's just a lot of logic. I'd say familiarize yourself with the problems and the tricks. That ought to do enough. (As always, practice tests are the way to go...nothing like the real thing.)

By Playbig (Playbig) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

Any comments specifically about "Wordsmart" and Wordsmart II"....I've done most of "Hotwords.." and am going over the Barron's list...

Thanks...

By Varr (Varr) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 11:59 am: Edit

Adware??? hmm that didnt happen to me, so I really couldnt help you out. Its been working fine for me, Im reading/learning about 25 words per day its really useful!! (Ofcorse I got lots and lots of time, I'm a sophomore waiting for the new sat)
But Im thinking the list in the Vocabulary Wizard is too long!! however the Barrons book got Basic Word Parts, WHICH ARE VERY HELPFUL!!!!

Thanks Gmf05, and congrats on your 1600!!!!!!:)!!
I dont want to take over Playbig's thread by asking you some other questions, about whem to take the NEW SAT, so could I email you? Id really appreciate your advice!!:)

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 12:24 pm: Edit

StudyGuy346, where did you get those "short lists", hit parades, and SAT vocab? Thanks

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page