SAT II Question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: SAT II Question
By Stlbballfan13 (Stlbballfan13) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

I am planning on taking the SAT IIs either in June or October. I'll probably be taking Writing, Math IIC, and Physics. I am currently taking a one-year physics class in school, and I'll be taking AP Physics next year (I'm a junior). When would be the best time for me to take the SAT II Physics test (and the other 2)? Also, do you think a one-year class and studying will be enough to do well on the SAT II test?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

May/June after you've taken the class is the best time. Everything's fresh and you're either about to or have just taken the AP test for Physics at that point.

If you study for the AP test you ought to be able to handle the SAT II without any additional studying (but it couldn't hurt if you did.)

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

In physics is it more conceptual or mathmatical. If it is conceptual then you will need alot of extra studying to do well on the sat II physics test. If it is mathmatical still get a review book and make shure you know everything. Defentially take it in june because you will have discussed most of the topics you need. If you take it in the fall you will most likely forget electricity and optical stuff.

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Eh I think optical/sound would be easiest to forget (since electricity usually covered in depth in the AP class - it's around 35% of the test) Anyway, the AP test itself is an even balance from what I know. We've taken lots of practice questions, etc. What I've seen is that you need to know the concepts first, but you still need to do lots of math. Also, I've taken some practice SAT II for physics and it's similar to the AP test as far as what you need to know. You don't need to study any new material - just take practices.

By Aoe2guy (Aoe2guy) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Sorry but I think someone said that conceptual means more studying??? WHAT? That makes no sense. Conceptual means that its understanding the general idea with whats happening and how something works, not the specific numbers and names of things. At that point its less studying, because if you can grasp and generalize ideas then you're saving time and avoiding a situation where you're studying pointless facts and trivia.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page