Raising Verbal Score!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Raising Verbal Score!
By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:39 pm: Edit

What is the consensus on Kaplan SAT 1600.... My verbal score on the March SAT was 650.. I would like to raise that to AT LEAST 700.. any suggestions as to book or study methods

My math was 740 and I know i'm definitely capable of getting 800s.. I think I got 2 in the 10 Real SAT books...

Thanks... anything will be very much appreciated

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

I got an 800 V and I thought most of the Kaplan passages were unrealistically hard (on critical reading.) If you're having trouble with critical reading, then the best way to improve is to just practice a lot. There are no extremely specific strategies to be offered except to read the passage objectively. Imagine you know nothing in the world except for what you've just read, and stick to the answers from the passage. All the answers are in the reading somewhere.

As far as analogies, sentence completions, they sometimes try to fool you by including multiple answers that could be right among the selections. However, there is always one answer that is MOST correct. It is your job to find the answer that fits far better than any other - there will always be only one of these.

The best ways to incorporate all of this is to do lots of practice tests (10 Reals is the way to go ^_~) Good luck

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Thank you. I still have some left in 10 Reals so I'll definitely do those.. Any word on Kaplan 1600 though? Cuz a friend recently recommended it to me.. I think it might make a difference in my verbal.. going from a 650 to 700+ range...

Besides 10 Real SATs, any other suggestions? I dont' want to memorize thousands of words for Verbal cuz thats just unrealistic.

By Smartaleck123 (Smartaleck123) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

bump

By Vinny919 (Vinny919) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

I used to miss 10-12 questions in CR alone, but PR says the best way to do CR is to do line references first and just read the proximity of the line they're referring to and then do lead words, questions where there's a "special" word, then do vocab in context, and THEN do general questions. NEVER read the passage (PR says) and just read what you need. I only miss 3 or so now :-)

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

You should definitely read the passage. I used to skim too but that LOWERED my score.

What you really need to do is read and paraphrase as you go (paraphrase ~each paragraph.) Many questions require you to do just this, and if you do it before the question is in your mind, there's little to no confusion about it.

Also many times the correct answer is 1-2 lines before/after the reference lines (sometimes exactly as written, sometimes paraphrase of the correct answer.) I.e. with the man in paradise passage on the March SAT....there was a question about how one of the old ladies acted...it said 2 lines down how honest she was...well the answer was direct (i.e. honest.)

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

As for advice on Kaplan 1600 I think I gave you a bit in my post (the CR are crap...not worth it.) The analogies and sentence completions are pretty good. If anything they give you good vocab and/or test your skills at process of elimination.

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

IMO, the best way to study for verbal, is read- read all different things like 2 hours a day- and for one of the hours read for definitions- when you don't understand a word, practice context, and look it up in the dictionary. Other hour, read for pleasure. Choose challenging material.

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

Read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definitely consider myself an avid reader. I have made it a habit to read The New York Times online on the weekends. Reading during the vacation helps too - choose books that you like. Time Magazine also helps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page