Help on the sat!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Help on the sat!!!
By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

ok..well heres the deal..im only a freshman and i scored a 1120..totally bombed it. I'm pretty pissed cause i thought i would do well, but im guessing im not that well of a test taker as i thought of myself. Anyways..i need help obviously so could anyone suggest some books that would be helpful especially in the verbal..i have barron's sat but i dont know how to go about it since everyone on this site says the tests in barrons arent worth the time anways. also i got a 650 on my math and im in ap calc and im a freshman..i think i just need help.....

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:34 pm: Edit

ap calc as a freshman? If you want some advice, mine is to calm down. You have plenty of time until you take the SAT. If you're really worried, buy 10 real SATs, read the strategys and review sections and take a couple of practice tests. See where you're weak and then you can improve. Once again, you have PLENTY of time.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

if youre getting 650 on your SAT math, you shouldnt be in AP calc, especially if youre still a freshman. It means either you dont know how to bubble things in or youre only in the class, not because you enjoy/are good at math, but because you want to look like a genius on a college ap. Remember that 1120 will follow you all the way to college, and no offense but that wont be too impressive, even if it was your freshman year. you should have waited a couple more yours before your decided to take it. Did you take any practice tests? was there any reason why you wanted to take the test before your peak?

By Jbaby262 (Jbaby262) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

um..well actually im pretty good in the class and if i wouldnt be taking ap calc if i didnt enjoy math thank you very much..do all these test really follow you into college?

By Studyguy346 (Studyguy346) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

yes.. they become part of your transcript and can't be erased. Colleges will see all of your scores.

By Altf4 (Altf4) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

LOL, i got a 930/1600 as a 6th-7th grader, horrible, horrible indeed, considering one of my friends got a 1400 (!!!) as an 8th grader...

i hope that one didn't count, although they did send me a score report, it was part of the John Hopkins Talent Search thing.

it doesn't "count" right???(hope not, i could get 1300 without trying as a sophomore now)

could it be that i haven't had a course of algebra one as a 7th grader or any geometry at all???

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

AltF4:
No, all scores you took before entering high school are erased. Don't worry about those.

Jbaby:
As for your poor math score. I wouldn't worry. Just take it again. But make sure to bring it up by buying '10 Real SATs' and taking at least a few practice tests.

Dont let the others scare you. Sure, that 650 is going to stay on the transcript, but colleges will dismiss it if you make up for it with a good score on it later. If you can score a 4 or 5 on the AP Calc exam will make colleges think you just had an off day or something while taking the SAT. Many colleges take the highest SAT verbal and math scores, regardless of what time you took them. So if you get a 750 in math as a junior, and had a 710 in verbal when you were a sophomore, they'll take those. Just don't take the SAT too many times (3 is the general rule for max amount of times)

Kousuke:
I'm not one for ad hominem, but quit being a dumbass. You're making it sound like he can never take the damn test again and he's doomed. He most certainly is not, and you're showing signs of jealousy. If you can't help someone with a realistic response, then don't bother posting, no matter how much the person may infuriate you.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

If you're a freshman you shouldn't be taking the current SAT anyway. You will need to take the new SAT for your college apps, so don't waste any more time on it for at least another year, if not more.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page