Need help with VERBAL!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Need help with VERBAL!
By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

i got my march SAT scores today..... not too happy, got a decent math, crappy verbal

V: 670
M: 800
T: 1470, decent, but not good enough at all.

i didnt do any prep and was wondering what i should do to improve my verbal, read more, get prep books or what, or am i just hope less? thanx

By Lyralily (Lyralily) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:52 pm: Edit

Definitely read more. In terms of books, classics are great for vocab (Jane Austen is a good one). Read the newspaper too (try the New York Times, which is free online) or news magazines (Newsweek can be good). Just taking practice tests will really help you learn to think the way the collegeboard wants you to.

What are your weak points? Vocabulary? Analogies? Critical reading?

(I just got pretty much the opposite score you did; 800 V, 680 M. I wish they'd let people take the test in pairs. We'd kick major ass. Heh. Any tips on improving the math?)

By Mrbesch (Mrbesch) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Practice! Practice! Practice! Take lots of SATs from 10 Reals, and use some vocab flash cards or books for words most likely to appear. Reading is fine, but the problem is that in order to really build up comprehension and vocab, you'll have to read for years. As lily said, reading the paper will help, and so will books, but use books like Barron's Hot Words or whatnot.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page