Barron's AP Lit Book (does anyone have one?)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Barron's AP Lit Book (does anyone have one?)
By Cornell_Hopeful (Cornell_Hopeful) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

If you have a Barron's AP lit prep book, could you look up something for me? Could you look up "Worlds of Fiction"? I need more information on the "Economic Extremes" world. If you find it, could you reply here?

By Cornell_Hopeful (Cornell_Hopeful) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

bump can somebody please help me?

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Ap english lit?

By Cornell_Hopeful (Cornell_Hopeful) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Yes. :)

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Economic Extremes- the kind of world most of us look at from outside, the world of great power and wealth and the world of soul-starving poverty. From such works we learn how monarchs and the millionaires live and what values govern their lives; we learn how the poor and disinherited of th earth struggle to survive and how their values are eroded. The people that live in these worlds face many of the everyday problems of the everyday world. They, too, are concerned with family loyalties but with a difference. They live greater tensions, and the climaxes of their lives tend to be more dramatic. In William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying", the Burden family goes through flood and fire to bury their dead mother in Jefferson City, and the enmity among Darl, Jewel, and Dewey Dell ends with Darl's incarceration in an insane asylum. The values that motivate the rich and powerful and the ones taht rule the lives of the poor and exploited are similar to those taht operate in the everyday world, but arrogance of the rich and necessity among the poor will lead them more readily to flaunt these values and produce more dramatic outcomes. In addition, among the rich there are problems of snobbery nd boredom and among the poor there are devestating problems of hunger, work, misery and anguish. Often in these worlds the values acquire a nicety, and their is an exaggerated adherence to nobility verging on the sentimental. (then they go on to give more examples. sorry if my typing is bad.. i suck at typing) good luck!

By Cornell_Hopeful (Cornell_Hopeful) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

simplyloved, I really do love you. If there is anything I can ever help you with, please im me at GinaDaQueen ... you will always hold a special place in my heart :)

By Cornell_Hopeful (Cornell_Hopeful) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Hey just wondering, did they have anything on "Crime and Punishment" in any of the examples of any of the "worlds"?

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Nope, nothing on Crime and Punishment just stuff on "the pearl" and "the tree of knowledge". No problem, you don't owe me anything, just happy to be of some help.

By Cornell_Hopeful (Cornell_Hopeful) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Thanks, so they didn't have Crime and Punishment in any of the other worlds (everyday experience, dramatic, sick, fantasy)?

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

nope, i don't think so. I checked and double checked but i didn't see it. Sorry

By Cornell_Hopeful (Cornell_Hopeful) on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much! You are the greatest! If you said yes to the last question I would have been very angry because I need to write a paper on Crime and Punishment and which world of fiction it's in. Thanks again!

By Simplyloved (Simplyloved) on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

I hope your essay turned out great

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page