Does this look bad, or should i retake.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Does this look bad, or should i retake.
By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:04 am: Edit

Sophomore year: 680v 800m

March 27,04 SATL 710v 780m

Best total is 1510.

But best single sitting is 1490.

I'm p*i*s*s*e*d, but is this score (either one)good enough to put me into the pool, or should I retake?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

1490 is fine to apply to most any college. In fact, since most places don't require single sitting they'll see the 1510 which is definitely good enough to apply pretty much everywhere. Dropping your math might hurt you a little for somewhere like MIT/Cal Tech (Though they took look at your best from each section or so I believe. So even then it probably wouldn't.) Otherwise I think you're fine. No score is very lopsided (whereas your sophomore scores were a little math heavy) and they're both good scores - 98-99 percentile.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

Your scores are good. Now, don't make the mistake that lots of disappointed seniors did who concentrated way too much on scores, not enough on ECs and essays.

Your scores could get you into any college in the country. However, the top colleges don't have room for the thousands of students with scores similar to yours, and who also have great gpas, curricula and class rank.

Thus, what you need to do if you want to raise your odds of getting into a top college is to work very hard on your ECs (and depth and commitment, not breath is what is important to such colleges), write stellar college essays, and make sure that you have excellent recommendations. And, of course, keep your grades up.

You don't need to obsess any more about your SAT. You need to focus on other areas that colleges will be examining.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

well guys thanks.

That was what I was thinking, but I had a bad bad bad bad day two weeks ago taking the test. Out of my 7 errors and omits on verbal, if I had just went with my gut feeling and didn't make dumb mistakes, i would only missed 3. Oh well.

By Bruceray (Bruceray) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:52 am: Edit

Recently saw a show interviewing Stanfords head of admissions. She said that Stanford regularly rejects more applicants with a perfect SAT score than they accept. Got my attention. Bottom line, follow northstarmoms advice and build up the other parts of your resume.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

I know.

But I have a few bummers:

A. I am Asian
B. I have "typicaly" "high" stats
C. I am not a US resident or citizen, therefore, good US colleges are less likely to accept me.
D. I have not won anything of natioanl recognition, except perhaps stupid things like NMSQT and Nat'l Honor Society.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Also, is it true that when colleges ask you yo not take the SATs more than 2-3 times, they mean during your junior and senior year, not ur sophomore scores and such?

By Justice (Justice) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

if you are sure that you can raise your score a lot, then why not? I retook a 1510 three months later with no additional prep and got a 1590. I have friends who are retaking 1560s. It depends on how you typically score on practice tests. If you have to do a lot of work to raise your score, then at this point don't bother. But if you usually score extremely high and just had a bad day when you took it in March, then just take it again.

By Bluebaron1616 (Bluebaron1616) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

yeah, that's me. I averaged around 770-780 verbal but had a bad day and got a 710.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page