Dang... I just got a perfect 800 Verbal!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Dang... I just got a perfect 800 Verbal!
By Futurecane (Futurecane) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

I just logged on to collegeboard.com, and I received my scores from the March SAT.

640 Math,
800 Verbal!

I don't know about my low Math score, but I am totally psyched about my perfect 800!

Yes!

By Lyralily (Lyralily) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

Hurrah for verbal geeks! *high five*

(I got an 800 verbal and a 680 math. Hee!)

By Futurecane (Futurecane) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

I am wondering if I should take it again-that low Math score sucks...

BTW, half the people (or more) must be lying about their scores... That is soooo stupid, just be a man (or woman) and tell the truth!

By Lyralily (Lyralily) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

Yeah, the high concentration of 1600s (or people who scored incredibly close) does seem suspect, but eh, this is a college forum, and everyone on here seems to be very much a perfectionist.

And yeah, I'm not quite happy with my math score, but math isn't my strong suit so I don't know if I could really pull it up much (or at all).

By Futurecane (Futurecane) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

Here is my SAT score page:

http://www.geocities.com/futurecane1/SAT.html

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:00 am: Edit

Hey Futurecane - same exact score as you (640 M 800V). I was dissapointed by the 1440 b/c honestly on Real SATs i was more 1480-1550 but I'm so happy about the 800 Verbal - it makes up for it to know that you did something perfect lol.

Are you gonna retake it to push up math? I was considering it b/c I usually average around 700 on math so I was kinda dissapointed and I know I can do better. But I don't wanna risk losing that perfect 800. What're you gonna do?

By Jollyapplepie (Jollyapplepie) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:10 am: Edit

I also got 800 on verbal. It's pretty amazing because I'm always REALLY bad at verbal, but I get 800s on the math. Now, I did just the opposite. They must have made the verbal scale really low this time or something.

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

Everyone who thinks people are lying about their scores just seem to be too cynical. 1) Check the Yale Admits thread, there are 3 people with 1600 who posted all in a row. What are the odds of that? 2) What are the odds of the whole message board scoring above 1200, or all these people posting with 800 verbal?
Some things aren't too good to be true. Finally, there's no impress factor to lying about a 1600. It won't benefit you at all, particularly online.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

I'll never understand how people do better on the verbal than the math, or how people think it is easier for that matter.

By Encomium (Encomium) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Jason, hah, sounds like words from a frustrated person.

You know how some people are naturally good singers, naturally talented at art, or natural geniuses in science?

Kinda like that
People's brains are programmed to do better on verbal than math

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:27 pm: Edit

I understand what you mean Jason. Math is easier to pick out the right answer. There's a right answer there and there's a concrete reason why it's right.
Verbal's a little more subjective though. You can perfectly justify your own answer, but for some reason it's still not right on the answer key.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 03:13 pm: Edit

yeah. That too and verbal is way harder to improve. FOr math, go through a prep book or two and your score will boost 80 pts. You just have to do practice problems and more practice problems and learn the formulas. For verbal, learn 3000 new words and you'll get maybe 30-40 pts higher (not even guarenteed) and crit. reading, you'll have to have been reading all your damn life to ace that section. And thats assuming you're not a genius. Math is just straightforward simple stuff.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

You dont necessarily have to have been reading your whole life to ace the CR or get a good score on it. I barely ever read "good" literature throughout my life, MOTORTREND here, ESPN there, but I just started reading "real" stuff like last year. Anyways on CR 3 of the answers will be totally wrong and you should be able to pick them out if you read the passage, then you are left with 2...I sometimes have a problem choosing the right one between these two but if you look over the passage again the right answer will become evident. I still have problems on CR (actually that is my main problem on the SAT), but if you work on it, it will become much easier.

By Jens (Jens) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

I got a 800V march sat, and i did not read my whole life and I am far from a "genius" (hah thats funny)>> i studied a lot of vocab- gradually accumulated as for CR- I tried to be as objective as possible and afterwhile, i could tell which answers are wrong- some are too obvious, too extreme, somewhat disparaging, etc.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

yes my point is that you could have put in much less effort than that by studying the math section and would see a bigger point boost. I mean, you can study math like hell a week before the test and get a good score. For verbal, you'd have to start at least a year before if you want to improve CR or memorize tons of vocab which everyone does.

By Lyralily (Lyralily) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:07 am: Edit

Heh. I don't understand how anyone could be better at math.

I'm sure I couldn't "study math like hell a week before the test and get a good score." My brain just doesn't work that way. I have been reading all my life and have always been far better with words than with numbers. I didn't study verbal and I got an 800, but I did study math and I still got a 680. So... yeh.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

I dont know I find math MUCH easier. You can always check answers on math and whatnot, but on verbal there seem to be so many conflicting answers that could be right.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page