To all those who got 1550+ on the March SATS...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: To all those who got 1550+ on the March SATS...
By Laurenh87 (Laurenh87) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:38 pm: Edit

How did you study? (And if you didn't study, don't tell me because that is just not fair!) Any tricks? Math tricks would be especially helpful becuase my math was 80 points lower than verbal. Thanks!

By Stanforduniv (Stanforduniv) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

hmmmm, i got a 1590 on the sat, but I didnt study for the math section. I studied my butt off for the verbal and I was getting a 600 before I worked (790 on actual test). I would say the best way to study for the verbal is to take at least 2 practice tests a week, be completely familiar with the section, and never stop studying the vocab! it does pay off. good luck!

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I got a 1570 (800M/770V) and I really didn't study at all. People are going to call me arrogant probably, but I really don't see how you study for the SATs besides learning vocab and doing a few practice tests (and in my opinion, all of the Kaplan/Barrons/PR SAT I - excluding their SAT II and AP books - are a complete waste of time and money). So if you really want to study, I suggest purchasing 10 Real SATs or some past disclosed tests from Xiggi as well as looking over a whole bunch of SAT vocab. I actually know a kid in my grade who was concerned more about the SATs than his actual classes and spent all of his nights learning vocab words and doing practice tests rather than his homework. The point of this is that he memorized 5,000 words from the site http://www.freevocabulary.com. So if you want to really overdo it, visit that site.

-Kevin

By Stanforduniv (Stanforduniv) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

i agree with kevin saying that the 10 real SATs are by far the best way to study. Vocabulary you can get from almost anywhere, but check out some of those "SAT word hotlist"s becasue they do familiarize you with words that are very likely to appear on the test

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

10 Reals. Just practice. I never studied math, because I'm a math person in general. You just have to stay alert during math so you don't make careless mistakes. With verbal, I NEVER did vocab. Maybe that's why I got a 750.. I don't know. Maybe it was the debated crazy controversial critical reading sections(intense pleasure, utter bewilderment, etc). I wont know that for a while though. Just do 10 Reals. It's the only real SAT prep, really.

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

Yeah, 10 Reals is the BEST way to go. Hands down. Don't use anything else, just check what you got wrong and why and eventually you'll start thinking like the test makers.

By Patches (Patches) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

I got the Princeton Review book from my library and studied it the week before the test. Despite what others may say, I find it really helpful. The most helpful study tool, though, was actually taking a real test. I took the official practice test for this year and got a 1440 even after going through the PR book (granted, though, this was in about two hours). After going through and learning from my mistakes on that test, I was able to get a 1600 when it mattered. I can only imagine that more practice (10 Real SATs) could do nothing but help.

Edit - The combination of PR and practice tests will certainly help you in the math section (probably more than it would in verbal), due largely to the fact that success on those two parts depends greatly upon your ability to cleverly solve a tricky problem.

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

Looked through Princeton Review (read about joe bloggs and all that) starting a few months before the test.

Did 3 or so practice tests from 10 Real the week of the test.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page