Regarding SAT's (improving one's score by 200-300 pts)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Regarding SAT's (improving one's score by 200-300 pts)
By Cmpdia (Cmpdia) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Ok so I just got my SAT scores and I did horribly (1140)... I'm pretty sure that if I study I'll be able to improve at least 200 points by the end of this summer. Now, my question is: when calculating my academic index and all my scores would colleges take my highest score into consideration only, or would they take the average of all the scores?
Thanks in advance guys.

By Cmpdia (Cmpdia) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

bump plz give me some feedback

By Ivysearch (Ivysearch) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Your score is not that terrible. The US average is somewhere around 1000 combined. Yes, it is is possible to bring it up 200 points but usually you can count on 100 points. I believe most schools calculate with the top two scores only.

By Ivysearch (Ivysearch) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

PS- Don't pay attention to the scores on this board because most of the regulars are not even close to the norm...they tend to be obsessive about scores.

By Cmpdia (Cmpdia) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

thanks ivysearch, but wat do u mean by top two scores only? does that mean that it would be best for me to take the SAT's as many times as possible?

By Haithman (Haithman) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Hey I went from a 1040 on the PSAT in October to scoring 1460 + in the 10 Real SAT book. You just have to want it really badly and work for it.
Good Luck!

By Traci87 (Traci87) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

I got at 1160 on my PSAT in 9th grade(before i finished geometry). I got a 1510 on the March SAT.

By Cmpdia (Cmpdia) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:56 am: Edit

thanks a lot for the encouragement guys, but my one question remains:
which scores do colleges look at, and how does the whole scoring system for gpa+ sat work?

By Cmpdia (Cmpdia) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

bump

By Ivysearch (Ivysearch) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:12 pm: Edit

They look at your top Math and your top Verbal and combine them. If you are looking at upper tier schools it is recommended that you take the SAT I only three times.

By Ericng314 (Ericng314) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Why only 3 times? I called up Columbia Admissions and they said that they looked at the highest combined. I really want to go to Columbia and got a GREAT SAT score slump...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page