How to eliminate stupid mistakes?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: How to eliminate stupid mistakes?
By Spyder22 (Spyder22) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

After taking my first SAT's, I thought I had aced the math section. I compared the hardest questions with others online, and got them all right. But I just got my scores: 740M/670V.
A 740 is what like 3 wrong? They must have all been stupid mistakes. I could do every single math problem and even checked most of my work. Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of these mistakes?

By Arow (Arow) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

What do you want us to tell you?

Be Careful, what else can we say?
Are there suppose to be some secret formula to eliminate stupid mistakes?

Mistakes are accidental, and if they could be prevented, then it isn't a mistake anymore.

Advice: Be careful, check work, nothing more anyone can say .

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Basically, my advice is to check work of course - but more importantly, work carefully the WHOLE test. Be as careful as you can the whole time, because any little slip up you make - you're likely to make again when you're checking. So the only way to ensure you're doing it right is to do it right when it's fresh. This is the approach I took and I raised my math from 710 to 800 between December and March.

By Sabinscabin (Sabinscabin) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

try to make a list of all the mistakes that you can possibly make

for example; something that looks like this

1. finding area when it asks for perimeter
2. finding the answer in minutes when it asks for seconds
3. having a fraction answer when it says in the beginning that it is an INTEGER

etc...

the more you have the better, and the more specific the better

and MEMORIZE THE ENTIRE LIST. I think this is the best thing you can do if you can do all the math problems but the only thing thats preventing you from 800 are stupid mistakes

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

740 is about -5 or -6 raw score on this curve, which is 4+ wrong at the least.

To get rid of stupid mistakes, keep taking practice tests. Whenever you make a stupid mistake, look at what you did and laugh at yourself so much that you remember to NEVER to make any stupid mistake like that ever again,

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Just don't let your mind wander. Focus all of your attention on the problem at hand, and don't get nervous if you're taking a long time to solve it. Sometimes on math I'll get scared because one problem is taking me over a minute, so once I get an answer I'll immediately bubble it in and go to the next one. BIG mistake. Check your work while you're doing the problem, and if you have time, check it after you finish the section.

By Jollyapplepie (Jollyapplepie) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

yes... be careful.

although that never works for me. so ... do a lot of math/verbal practice questions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page