Princeton Review Classroom Classes

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Princeton Review Classroom Classes
By Angiela (Angiela) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

I'm taking the PR classroom classes this summer. I was wondering if anyone has taking the class before. Is it worth it?

By Theanswer (Theanswer) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

I've taken the class and heard a lot about from CC and friends, and overall, it seems that everyone does better after taking the class. PR is very good at working with your verbal scores... they have some prtty elementary tricks, but then some good ones too. I mean I'd say its worth the money if you want to get in the 1400s and beyond, but if your already in that mark its not a very effective course.

By Ivyleaguepleaz (Ivyleaguepleaz) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Good for you for taking the class, I hope that it helps. I looked at it before I started practising at all, but when I did my first practise SAT I got in the mid 1400's so I couldn't justify shellin' out the big bucks they want for the course. Rather just read through the manuals. Good luck, and hope that you get a great score.

By Angiela (Angiela) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice!

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:18 am: Edit

Do a search on CC. and you'll find that the consensus is negative. The increases in scores are marginal -at best- and on a cost per point gained PR is awful. A few number -1 or 2- posters have reported good success with the One-on-one tutor service.

I am on the record in saying that the organized classes by PR are NOT to be recommended. However, you should check the posts from last summer through the October tests, and ask around.

As far as I am concerned, a telling fact is that they won't guarantee ANYTHING for their basic classes. Ask them to guarantee a refund if you do not increase FIFTY points. You'll see them running for the hills.

Do yourself a favor and buy the 10RS, spend a lot of time on CC, and you'll do a lot better. If you are adamant about using PR, arrange for the personal tutors. With some luck, those "senior" tutors would have a bit more experience than having taken the same class as you did to qualify as PR tutor!

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 01:38 am: Edit

PR sucks. Don't waste your money, I'm not even kidding. It's just... Eh. My PR teacher guy was hecka mean to me too, and we were like freaking paying him! W/e. I didn't learn anything, score didn't go up. Hey! The search thing isn't working for me for some reason? What's up with that?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

Try searching with 1 or 2 forums only. The search engine has problems handling searches that encompass the entire board.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Actually, I beg to differ a little.

Yes, 10RS is the best way.

HOWEVER, say you are a lazy bum with rich parents and strong natural logic skills. Then, PR may be worth it.

I used to be from an adamant "haha, losers who waste $1000" viewpoint. However, I don't think you guys understand what it is to not have work ethic... A lot of people I know said they would study like crazy and end up just taking 1-2 practice tests and looking at 50 vocab words before giving up.

If you take the PR course, you're essentially forced to do everything with a deadline for each practice test, each vocabulary list, each reading passage, etc.

In that sense, if you KNOW you would not otherwise study...then yes, it is worth the $1000.

But, it is NO better than good old fashion self-studying. It just has the added deadlines and pressure to compel the extremely procrastinating/lazy to work.

Personally, I do know one kid who went there cause he was too lazy to study himself and ended up with a 1600 (first time). He didn't much study outside the program.

The point is, if you're already studying by yourself, screw PR. If you know you will NEVER study by yourself, fork over the $1000.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

Songster~

If you are a strong skilled lazy bum with rich parents, you ought to go for the one-on-one tutoring from PR.

Why spend 1,000 dollars on classes designed for average students and taught by inexperienced and average tutors?

Spend a bit more and get it done right. Princeton Review has some good attributes: the $20-30 books are excellent, a good number of their experienced tutors are also good. The classes that fall in the middle of PR's offerings are the ineffective ones.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page