REA AP U.S. History

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: REA AP U.S. History
By Efelder (Efelder) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

Are the tests in the REA book for AP US history easier than the real thing. They seem a bit too easy.

By Xjay2max (Xjay2max) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

it is harder.

im guessing you're taking the AP exam?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

My teacher said the REA is absolutely the worst book for AP exam prepping - she suggested Cliff/Spark notes or Barrons.

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

ive heard REA is the best.

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I think your teacher is wrong. REA and Princetone Review are the two best books for AP US History prep.

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Gmf05, REA has 1 killer AP book and about 123123 horrible AP books. That's probably why your teacher said that REA sucks.

REA AP US History is undisputed the best US History review book.

By Efelder (Efelder) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

so im guessing the conscenus is that they are equal to or a bit tougher than the actual AP, which i am taking on may7th.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 10:21 pm: Edit

ahhhhhhhhhh im so worried about the ap us exam please give me some tips on how to cover so much material in such a short amout of time! Also, i took a practice test in rea and i got a approxiamtely a 3, i had my ap us teacher grade my essays and he gave me an 8 and a 6 on regular essays and a 7 on my dbq

By Oceanblue52 (Oceanblue52) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

I liked the Kaplan book, it broke down the time periods, gave you lists of names, place, etc., and then there was a mini quiz. It took me about 3 weeks to get through it, and I got a 4.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 02:12 am: Edit

I read through REA's twice and did all the tests and got a 3. I hated that book.

By Impatheticiknow (Impatheticiknow) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 04:26 am: Edit

REA is the BEST for US history.

By Conker (Conker) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:08 am: Edit

REA's outlines are only useful for the essay, where you're expected to regurgitate specific events. You can really wow readers with your knowledge of the Walker Tariff and Charles River Bridge v. Warren Bridge. Otherwise, you're screwed for the multiple choice, since they test themes and trends, and REA only provides you with specific events and short-term trends. And technically their tests ARE more difficult than the real thing, but that doesn't mean that you'll do better on the real thing. Not only are their tests The DBQs don't have any visual docs (a real rarity in AP US), and I saw one that asked about McClellan (war strategy, not on test).

By Pooeybear (Pooeybear) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 05:45 am: Edit

among the seniors this year that took the AP US exam last year in my school, 85% got 4 or 5's, and they all studied with the REA book.its not like my AP US teachers amazing or anything.those seniors were huge slackers,and left everything to last minute (kinda like what im doingright now),but they managed to get their hands on the REA stuff and scored well.also,my brother who scored a 5 on theexam recommended ARCO.its old fashioned and everything,but they give u a list of important events and catagorize them (eg.supreme court cases, riots, laws passed, etc.)if ur bad at multiple choice,i heard from my teacher that u can still aim for a 5 with only 50 something right on that section if u have good writing skills for the essays.good luck everyone-tho i need it the most!

By Efelder (Efelder) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

I found that the tests in the REA aren't too detailed but as you say dont test themes and dont have many charts/maps/graghs. Does the real tests contain many visuals?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

What my teacher is making us do - which helps a lot (and is basically in all of the books) - is fill out "President Sheets" which are timelines and information for each president as well as other sheets outlining the year/description/significance of Supereme Court cases, tariffs, treaties, land acquisitions, and technology. They are excellent for studying and the information sticks in your head much better if you make them yourself.

By Encomium (Encomium) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

REA is bad because all it does is describe the various acts and it even goes in depth in the battles..and military history is not on the ap exam...it's a nice supplement for terms but I would know your text and princeton review the best...PR isn't as great for terms though

By Flameball63 (Flameball63) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I got a 4. My advice: stay away from REA if U CAN'T CONNECT THE FACTS. REA is like basically a thick tome filled with...dry facts. If u know what goes on, and need to review the facts, go for it, but I would recommend highly to just skip it. It clusters way too much information for such a small test. And, to all that're taking the test: do not cram. I crammed, should've gotten a 5, but, screwed myself over. By the time u hit the essays, u already feel burnt out, and the HARDEST thing for me was to STICK TO MY POINT.
I actually used Petersons(don't gasp) SATII HIstory book. I loved it. I think it's the only book of the Peterson/Arco line that's worth getting. It outlines everything very nicely and simply-try it if u have the time/resources.

Good Luck You Guys!

By Aeg315 (Aeg315) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 10:03 am: Edit

From my experience, the REA has the best review. If you're taking the US History AP exam, also check out the Barron's American History SAT II book, which covers a lot of the same stuff on the AP exam... it goes by president, which makes it easy to comprehend and study in a logical order. Even though REA has good review, the questions are not so great because they're not real - but hey, you can't really get any real questions from any review book.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

What about Kaplan's AP US history?

By Number9 (Number9) on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

I found that the approach I am using works very well.

First, I break up everything into periods of time (ex: today I did Wilson/WWI to FDR before WWII). First I read Princeton Review, as it cuts out a lot of detail, and tells you the various trends. After finishing the alotted amount of pages from PR, I go to REA. I support the broad review from PR with the facts from REA and CONNECT THEM.

Connections are essential!

As for REA going over military history, I believe you should NOT completely skip over that stuff in REA because it can prove to be helpful in essays.

By Terpfan101 (Terpfan101) on Sunday, April 18, 2004 - 10:17 am: Edit

i loved princeton review. It wasn't too long and gave you the basics of what you needed to review. I got a 5 last year. The practice tests in PR books are the most realistic of any test prep book. The way they are worded, difficulty, content, etc. all make the tests very useful in preparing for any ap, sat2, or sat test. REA is good for the review content, but it is fairly long.

By Jude (Jude) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:57 am: Edit

dude, PR is sooo short in comparisson to REA. i just hope that PR didn't skip anything too important.

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

would u guys just recommend studying your text? i have american pageant.

By Britney4521 (Britney4521) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

onle damn people take their text books seriously.

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

i have american pageant too and theres NO way i'm studying from that book.....half of it is flowery language!!! i'm using REA right now, tho i just started so i dont know how i'm gonna get through it in time...

By Scorp (Scorp) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:17 pm: Edit

So, are the REA tests harder? They seem so to me.

By Jenesaispas (Jenesaispas) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:23 pm: Edit

lol... I like the American Pageant... it was very pleasing to read, especially things that compared Ahab's chase of Moby-Dick to Ken Starr's eternal search for evidence against Clinton!

By Jens (Jens) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit

yah its huge, but the thing i like about American pagaent is it ties back to other events (big picture) and it makes it interesting to read! i find it hard to read facts and info w/o the "flowery language" b/c its boring and has no connections. but thats just me...

By Baseballnbooks (Baseballnbooks) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Pageant is undisputedly the best textbook for the AP USH. Bailey at least delivers real history, although many of his opinions are clearly spelled out, whereas many others water-down the information so as not to "offend" anyone by being politically incorrect. America is not politically correct, so why should its history be that way?

By Miscgrl (Miscgrl) on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

maybe b/c if every country decides to use textbooks that are not politically correct and slant towards one political opinion or another, we end up with everyone being taught a different version of history, so everyone can hate each other enought to blow up buildings. :D

ok sorry, so that was a bit over the top but the point is that if you go to a country like bahrain for example, their history textbooks are written by authors whose opinions are "clearly spelled out" as well - and if everyone is learning these opinions as facts and incorporating them into the history of the world, people are likely to not understand the bigger picture of the world, which is not going to help the US deal with the extreme amounts of anti-Americanism that exist in the world today.

I dont really want to argue this, I just mean that there's definately a way of teaching history without putting in one-sided opinions with no balance.

I recommend you read "Lies my teacher told me" - the author studied 12 us history textbooks, american pageant included, and the amount of pure lies incorporated into our textbook is unexcusable.

As for the flowery language, sometimes its ok but sometimes, ie when bailey speaks of the "hand of destiny beckoning the colonists to virginia" - one realizes how purely ridiculous what we're reading is. Was our purging of the native americans destiny too?

Just food for thought.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page