Improving from a 1400 to 1500+

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Improving from a 1400 to 1500+
By Runrickyrun123 (Runrickyrun123) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

I am a pretty good student and get about a 1400-1500 on my practice SATs, but I can't seem to get to the next level. I read these SAT manuals, but they all tell me the same trivial stuff (make bridges, use context clues, eliminate answer choices, etc.). I am taking the May Sat I, how would I best study to go from this 1400-1500 range to perhaps the mid 1500s?
Thanks

By Guyute (Guyute) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

Practice tests. Practice tests. Practice tests. One or two a week every week until you take the test. It is a beatable test, you work at it and you will beat it. Two months of practice tests netted me a 1580 on my first try. I will never forget the math question I missed.

By Runrickyrun123 (Runrickyrun123) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

hmmm your probably right...i was hoping there was some sort of catch where i can easily raise my score in little time
it's frustrating to read these sat books that spend half the time explaining how a grid-in works.
(If anyone has any big tips they'd be appreciated)

By Songster87 (Songster87) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Unless you have serious gaps in your math curriculum, i.e. you were never taught the pythag theorem, never read prep books. They're terrible.

Instead, work on practice tests and make sure you UNDERSTAND EVERY SINGLE ANSWER YOU GET WRONG. That's the biggest mistake people make. "Oh hey, let's just take practice tests and bask at our great practice test scores while never figuring out why we keep getting 10+ wrong."

Also, for verbal, circle ALL vocabulary words you don't know...whether analogy, sentence completion, in the reading comprehension... Even if it is not the correct answer and even if it is completely irrelevant to the question, CIRCLE THEM! And then look them all up. Yes, even the ones in reading passages that have nothing to do with any of the questions.

For math, NEVER rely on process of elimination. If you EVER do, that means you don't understand the question. Don't bother with practice tests, but make sure you spend all extra time checking REPEATEDLY until time is called.

Lastly, spend a small amount of time reading a vocabulary book, such as Word Smart. Do NOT go all out crazy doing 80% on your studying on vocabulary (because you'll get a 660V). However, if SC/analogy is holding you back, 5-10 hours of vocabulary studying will give you a 50 point boost. I find that 35000 words vocabulary lists go in and out in a day (although you may be different). I also find that "in-context" vocab books are both condescending, boring, and total crap. AVOID THEM. So that's why I reccomend Word Smart...concise, witty, and memorable.

Hm...and that's about it. I have some real practice tests not in 10RS that I bought from Xiggi and never used if you're interested. (Email in profile).

Hope it turns out well.

By Conker (Conker) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 06:46 am: Edit

Hey Songster87,

Would you be willing to scan them and post it online (not publicly, of course)? I'd be glad to throw a couple bucks your way on Paypal.

I say this because I don't think you nor I would want to incur the overseas shipping costs. :)

By Runrickyrun123 (Runrickyrun123) on Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

thanks for the advice. vocab study would not help at all because it would take about 1 hour to learn about 50 words (definitly not worth the time). Just gonna do a practice test a day until may.

By Runrickyrun123 (Runrickyrun123) on Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

Songster, I can't find your email in your profile...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page