Should I take these SAT II's???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Should I take these SAT II's???
By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

hey guys,
I'm a sohpmore, and i had been planning to take 3 SAT 2s in June, (math IC,chem, uS history), but after talking to a few people and finding more abotu the tests I'm starting to wonder if I REALLY NEED to take both chem and history. i don't plan on majoring in science or history so these SAT 2's would be considered in the "other" category right?so besides the math, writing, are any SAT II's MORE necessary than the other? if it all means the same to the colleges whether i take chemistry or history then i would just take history cuz i'm much better at it. I'm plannign to apply to ivies so what would be the better option?

By Astrobobocop (Astrobobocop) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

I believe that if you think that you can do well on the three you're planning on taking, do it! If you do well then it will help. If you want to gauge how well you might do, get the SATII subject test book from College board. It has a test from every single SATII offered. Try them out, and if one of the peripheral SAT II's seems like it will be a bad thing, don't take it.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

I am assuming you will be taking the new SAT next spring which will include the writing section and thus you need not take the SAT II writing. Currently, those schools that require SAT II's often require three (ivies included) but writing is very often one of the requirements and will no longer be if you take the new SAT. The UC's will be going to only two SAT II's required for 2006 applicants. I have not heard yet what others that currently require three will do. Nevertheless, you should assume you will not need more than three total and may only need two. The key to SAT II's in relation to admissions is not to take a lot of them but to take the required number and score very high. Thus, whether you take chemistry and history depends on how confident you are that you will score high. If you believe you can, then seriously consider taking them. If you believe not, then seriously consider holding off.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page