AP Language vs. Critical Reading

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP Language vs. Critical Reading
By Amethyst (Amethyst) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:45 pm: Edit

just wondering,

someone from this board mentioned that AP language prep books really help with critical reading skills, any comments?

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

I think so, In my English class (10th Grade GT) we practice with AP style questions and it really does help with critical reading skills on the SAT. The AP style questions are alot harder than the SAT CR because the AP forces you to think about the Q but on CR the answer is easily found in the text.

By Amethyst (Amethyst) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

bump

By Tinkerchelle (Tinkerchelle) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

definitely does. i'm in ap language&comp, and since the ap MC is so much harder than the SATs, verbal CR is easy-schmeezy.

By Shhh (Shhh) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

I doubt it considering i got a 4 in AP lang and a disgustingly low 600 in SAT verbal, mostly due to CRITICAL READING.

AP writing is interesting whereas Critical reading is BORING. AP goes deeper into the text, Critical reading is very on the surface, and analyzing may just make you get the wrong answer. Practice reading boring stuff...like the newspaper or something.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Ha, it's funny you say that, I aced the CR on the verbal but am struggling in AP English.

-Jesse

By Shhh (Shhh) on Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

SEE ! even more proof! two different worlds those two tests

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page