SAT or SATs?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: SAT or SATs?
By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

This is something that has been getting on my nerves for awhile and I wonder if anyone else notices or cares. I don't actually care as much as it appears that I do here, but I'm just curious as to if anyone else makes note of it.

Why do people always say things like "I'm taking the SATs on Saturday," or "I got 1200 on my SATs?" The SAT I is a single test, and it does not belong to you, so it is not "the SATs" and certainly not "my SATs."

Secondly, how do you think this came about? The SAT is broken into 7 sections, so perhaps people see it as 7 tests with one composite score, hence, SATs.

It seems to me that "The SATs" is a logical thing to say when you are referring jointly to the SAT I and the SAT IIs, but maybe people started using it to only talk about the SAT I... I dunno.

Again, I'm exaggerating how much I care about this a lot for illustration, but is anyone else annoyed by this?

By Earthpressdflat (Earthpressdflat) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Yes. Yes I am.

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

wow, this is the most trivial post i have read so far. so sue me if i say " my SAT" .

By Feuler (Feuler) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Well, you will notice that I make very explicit note of the fact that this post is trivial, and simply a matter of curiosity.

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Feuler-I've never really thought about that, but you make a good (if pedantic) point.

Maybe the thought of the SAT as a plural comes about because of the separate verbal and math scores? If you think of it as two separate (but connected) tests, then calling it the "SATs" makes sense. In the same way, I think it's correct to say "I'm taking my SAT IIs in June" because I'm taking more than one subject test.

By Glowingamy (Glowingamy) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Technically that's correct, but in this case it's become so widespread that you're really in the minority and in casual conversation you'd be the one (even subliminally) seen as a little off base. Random, unscientific? Such is language :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page