AP Chem: So, how's the curve?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: AP Chem: So, how's the curve?
By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:54 am: Edit

See topic. What does it take to get a five on the AP Chem exam? Also, could somebody explain about when calculators can be used on the exam? I don't quite understand the way they have it explained on the site. We can use it for the first 40 minutes for the free response and then we have to put it away? Can we use it on the multiple choice section? Thanks for the help!

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:00 am: Edit

I don't think u can use teh calc on the mc's. You have to get aruond 65-75% on mc's to get around a 5 (that's if you do okay on your free response questions). well hope this helped

By Succor101 (Succor101) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

umm...curve depends on how everyone does this year, but something like 60 to 70% sounds about right for a 5.

anyway, you can't use a calc on MC questions, but you can on first free responses 'cause those are like equilibrium, thermo, etc. probs that require calculations

I think CB just wants to point out that you can't use a calc on the essay part...

By Hiamerica (Hiamerica) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

Hi guys,
i am really concerened,
My friends and teachers tell me that i should get a 80% or 90% to get a 5 on this exam. Is it really true.

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 03:40 am: Edit

read above: 60%-70% should do.

By Conker (Conker) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 05:09 am: Edit

If you're getting 60-70% of the possible points on the AP Chem exam, then you really have your work cut out for you. To get a 5, you'll need to score at least 70% (and in some cases even more). Taking into consideration the penalty, that would mean that you would need to get at least 75-80% of the MC questions correct. But it's not 80-90%, I am sure. If I could find my AP Chem book, I would tell you the exact percentage, but I can't right now.

By Tallyrand (Tallyrand) on Monday, April 05, 2004 - 07:16 am: Edit

Hey Conker. When it's convinient for you it'd be great if you could get that info from your book. Thanks. And also maybe in your AP book it explains clearly about the calculator policy on the free response part of the test? Because I don't fully get that. I'm still studying the material...I haven't quite got to figuring out how to do the test yet. :)

By Blee731 (Blee731) on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit

It is DEFINITELY not 80-90% to get a 5 on the test. For sure, if you get at least 70% on both the multiple choice and the free response, you will get a 5. However, there is a penalty for guessing, so you have to watch out for that.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page