Math Tutor had Questions in advanced. Long Island scores may

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Math Tutor had Questions in advanced. Long Island scores may
By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Actually, here in Long Island, NY, our scores quite possibly will be cancelled. There was a math tutor who had illegal copies of old math questions that appeared on the test. Here is the article:

SAT tutor probe grows

BY JOHN HILDEBRAND
Staff Writer

The private tutor involved in a security breach of an SAT exam given on Long Island last week has been identified by testing officials and others as Richard Andres, a highly regarded former math teacher in Jericho.

An investigation is widening in Jericho, Roslyn, Great Neck and other nearby communities where Andres tutored students to see if other exams have been compromised.

Tom Ewing, a spokesman for Educational Testing Services, which administers the exam, said agency investigators have questioned Andres and expect to decide by next week if any exam results need to be invalidated. Teams of investigators also have interviewed students and parents.

The security breach was discovered last Saturday, when several Jericho students noticed the math section of the SAT appeared identical to one in a June exam that had not been released by ETS but was distributed by Andres. Ewing confirmed the two sections contained the same questions. He added that his agency still was looking into the question of exactly how Andres had obtained the exam, and it hadn't received prior reports of similar breaches on Long Island.

Andres taught calculus and other subjects in Jericho for many years before retiring in 1999. He also wrote popular handbooks on SAT preparation.

At his home in Queens, a family member who answered the phone Friday night said Andres would have no comment.

Henry Grishman, superintendent of Jericho schools, said the test-takers were not at fault. "This is a terrible thing for the kids -- they're innocent victims." He said he couldn't comment on Andres' apparent role, due to the continuing investigation, but said he had been assured that no one tutoring students for the SAT had access to exams during administrations -- for example, as test proctors.

Meanwhile, officials for a Massachusetts-based consumer-advocacy group said the debacle demonstrated weaknesses in SAT testing procedure. The FairTest group of Cambridge, Mass., has long contended that SATs should be released after each administration, both to open up more tests to public scrutiny and to discourage thefts and illegal copying.

"It sounds like they're just being lazy by re-using exactly the same section," said Bob Schaeffer, public education director for FairTest. "It's irresponsible."

The SAT is the college entrance exam most often taken by Long Island high school students, and experienced tutors can command fees of up to $200 an hour for their prep classes. Each year, ETS releases four exams that are published and sold to students. Other exams are kept secret -- in part, so that questions can be recycled.

ETS officials contend that using questions one time only would be prohibitively expensive and would not greatly add to security.

"It is regular practice in the standardized testing business to repeat forms on a staggered basis," said Ray Nicosia, the agency's director of testing security. He said his agency had brought copyright infringement charges against people who had used SATs improperly in the past, but said it was too early to say what would happen in this case.

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

bump. THERE HAS TO BE MORE KIDS THAT TOOK IT FROM THE LONG ISLAND AREA. WHAT DO YOU THINK

By Luckystar1111 (Luckystar1111) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

Yeah, my entire grade is talking about this, and I am very worried about our scores being cancelled. I called the CB, but all they said was that the matter was being investigated and we would know in a few days what will happen. If there is a retest, it will be on a day before the May SAT. I think it is ridiculous to make thousands of juniors retest when only a few were really affected by this "scandal." What a waste of time and money.

By Hiya (Hiya) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

LOL reminds me of "The Perfect Score"

By Acoplander (Acoplander) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

You mean that preposterous movie with Darius Miles?!

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

I am in the most danger of being affected. I took the SAT at Jericho HS

By Luckystar1111 (Luckystar1111) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

You took it at Jericho? That's bad news--your scores will probably be canceled. What do you think about those of us who took it somewhere else in Nassau County?

By Sulskman (Sulskman) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

I think that if the ETS is confidnet they have a complete list of students who actually saw the answers before hand, they will only cancel those kids scores. If not, they have to decide whether to cancel:
1. Jericho HS students who took it at Jericho
2. Non- Jericho HS Studnets who took the test at Jericho
3. Jericho HS students who took it elsewhere
4. Any students who took it in the surrounding communities

Or any combination of the four. I heard through the grapevine a mother called ETS and they said they were almost certain students who took the test at Jericho and Jericho HS students will have their scores cancelled. They were debating whether or not to cancel all of Nassau.
check here for details:
http://www.bestschools.org/SAT_Update/index.htm

By Luckystar1111 (Luckystar1111) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Thanks for the link. Do you think we would find out our scores online Thursday if they were to be cancelled? That seems pretty cruel. Meanwhile, I keep checking my SAT Status on CB and am scared that I'll see "cancelled" next to the test rather than "registered"!

By Jenz129 (Jenz129) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

I took the test in Commack, so chances are, my score won't be cancelled, right? Good luck to all you guys who took the test in Jericho/Nassau. =/ You guys shouldn't be punished for ETS's irresponsibility in using the same exam questions so soon. Do you guys know how many sites were open for the test on Long Island?

By Romastaflex (Romastaflex) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 06:13 pm: Edit

i think this test was in circulation. as soon as i was done taking the test i heard like 3 girls run up to each other and they were like "the analogies were exactly the same!". and i took the test in central jerzey. think its only rite if this one gets cancelled.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page