Should I take these SAT II's???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: April 2004 Archive: Should I take these SAT II's???
By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

I have 3 SAT II's already (Math IC, IIC, and writing) and 3 fairly good scores (750, 800, 730).

I'm signed up to take Physics in May before the AP test. I was considering taking a couple more, however, such as US History (before that AP test as well) and maybe writing again, since I may be an english/lit major. I think I can get 750+ on all three, but you never know.

My question is...If I scored low on one or two of these tests would that hurt my overall admissions chances?

I know colleges look at your top 3 scores for the SAT II's (or most colleges anyway) but does that mean they pretty much disregard the others?

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 07:28 pm: Edit

bump

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, April 03, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

The reason TCB dropped score choice for SAT-2 is that schools did not care about anything but your 3 best scores.

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

If you're taking the AP Physics test, why are you bothering to take the SAT II Physics test? Especially if you're leaning toward an English major? That makes no sense. Just take the AP Physics test so you can get college credit. Taking the SAT II Physics test is a waste of time and money. Besides, it's brutal. It's very hard to get 750+ on it.

I would retake the Writing test, but if you're taking AP classes don't bother taking a bunch more SAT IIs. Your current scores are good enough to impress the admissions counselors, and with the AP tests you can essentially start college as a sophomore if you get enough credits.

Focus, man! :-)

By Gmf05 (Gmf05) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 11:31 am: Edit

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not worried about credit. At the schools I hope to get into, I wouldnt' be able to exempt classes on AP or SAT II credit.

I just want them to be good for my admissions and show that I'm a well balanced student. (And back up some of my grades.)

By Yoyomama04 (Yoyomama04) on Sunday, April 04, 2004 - 01:50 pm: Edit

I see where you're coming from. But I still wouldn't bother taking several additional SAT IIs when the AP exams will show your capabilities just as well, if not better, and you'd be taking the AP ones anyway. If you get an A in Physics that will be sufficient to show you're well-rounded academically. And if you really are going for an English or writing degree, they really won't care about an SAT II Physics test score.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page